Tamiya ANG P-51D

Started by Jim Harley · 24 · 5 years ago · Air National Guard, Mustang, P-51 Mustang, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Excellent news Jim. I like it when a plan starts coming together... These resin bits look fantastic too. You have inspired me to take another look at my 1/32 Revell P-51-D-5 new tool in the stash. I just ordered a set of decals for it, and it will be finished similar to the Ki-61 "Hien" using Bare Metal Foil on the fuselage...

Thanks for posting this, and the inspiration for a future / soon to be build underway...

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Louis, I'm loving your Ki-61...I'm seriously considering doing a Galloping Ghost with the BMF...that stuff is gorgeous. So far the AIRES parts have dropped in perfect. I will admit there is a lot of fitting and fine tuning but it seems it was designed this way for a really snug fit. I got the firewall installed and the ignition wires installed off of the right magneto. It is kinda fun working on a Merlin that doesn't cost $250k πŸ™‚ The last job for the night was priming most of the parts. More soon!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Worked quite a bit today on the firewall. I used a bunch of modern (Louis) and period photos for color...the only significant difference is the yellow oil tank. Most were bare aluminum post war and I think most came from the factory this way. I sprayed it with some satin clear this evening and tomorrow I'll give it a wash of gray and black to highlight the details. The details they molded in to this set are amazing...and they all fit together πŸ™‚

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 2 months ago:

This is looking fantastic.

Watching it with very keen interest... and will be anxiously awaiting the next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Man you've really jumped deep into super detailing this pony. Looking forward to seeing more.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 1 month ago:

hard to believe it's been two weeks since the last post. Real work has gotten in the way :). Not a bad thing...the stash is growing because of it. This morning I took some time to get the engine mounted and the header tank installed. I went around the airframe and did some final filling in preparation for paint. I added a bunch of detail to the Merlin, which unfortunately won't be seen once all the cowl formers are installed. I am in awe of how well this Aires kit looks and installs.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 1 month ago:

finally got back at it! all the seams are cleaned up, holes filled and sanded and the black base went on today. I press fit the gear and tail wheel in place to spray it all at once and it worked pretty good. I got this kit off of eBay and it came with resin flaps,...they looked really great in the bag and when I trimmed them up they don't fit, I'll post photos in the next update...might save you some money. Soooo I'll fill the kit flaps and make them work. Tomorrow I'm gonna start the aluminum coats.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik GjΓΈrup said 5 years, 1 month ago:

What a great build - well done so far! Looking forward to the next post πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Wow Jim !

The black base is as shiny as it gets...nice and smooth. The top coats should look fantastic judging by the appearance of the base coat.

Like Erik, I'll be watching for the next installment...