Tamiya F-14B (Conversion) 1/48, The Fighting 103.

Started by Harvey R. · 141 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Cold War, F-14, Jolly Roger, Tamiya, tomcat, Top Gun, VF-103
  • Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hello again, some more updates, largely in gluing what's already been test fitted.

Bringing It Together

The focus of the last few days was to finish off the internals of the (unweathered currently) intakes, test fitting showed they fit very well and with some glue they went together even better with some tape holding it down. The fan intake for the jet engine was painted, but this was only a quick go over with Tamiya Metallic-Grey for the fans and some Light Ghost Grey for the spinner, it's so deep in there you'll likely not see it anyways.

Regardless, with the intakes fitted and glued the forward fuselage could be glued in. This generally fit pretty well during test fitting, and gluing it let me get it even closer but there is still a noticeable gap particularly on the underside that will need to be solved. I've also began test fitting the undercarriage doors for the nose-wheel, they don't fit perfectly into the space but it's not as bad as some modifications for wheels up are. I also quickly together each of the two-piece elevators, which fit into a hole with a poly-cap so they can be moved or more importantly removed later for painting.

You're right Spiros, this Tomcat has amazing engineering. There are some gaps to be filled (which kit doesn't need a good seam line smoothing?) but it's definitiely up there as one Tamiya's finest kits, next to their P-38. I wonder what their F-4 will be like?

I did used to use a piece of paper for my photographs instead of a lightbox which you can see on my first Corsair post, honestly the lightbox isn't as much of an improvement but the nice lights inside the box certainly make a difference.

Next up is to finish the exhaust nozzles, I tried making my own paint mix and it didn't quite work so I ended up drowning the intakes in some VMS Airbrush Cleaner, I've bought some more suitable paints so hopefully they don't take too long to arrive! In the meantime I'll try and get these wheel doors fitted.

Certainly a bit bigger than your average light aircraft!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great steps, my friend @scalerambush!

If I recall WWII my Hasegawa Tomcat gave me quite a few issues upon fitting the intakes and blending them to the fuselage. Jet kits with complicated shapes (as the Tomcat) are typically not among the greatest regarding fit: not if they are made by Tamiya!

Of course, it's also your meticulous skill that produces this masterpiece.

In flying status it will loom awesome!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros! I've not much experience with Hasegawa, the one kit I produced wasn't bad but wasn't perfect neither, you're definitely right about the shape of the jet being complicated so I can only imagine its worse on such a project. There is a minor gap on the fuselage to intake join but it's small enough to pass as a panel line I reckon.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great glueing steps, Harvey. @scalerambush
    My only Tamiya experience is the P38 and if you say this F14 is equal, then it is surely a pleasure to build.
    You will for sure fix the minor gap.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks almost ready for paint, Harvey (@scalerambush). One of the cool things about modeling is to see the relative sizes of airplanes, such as you did. The intakes on a lot of these models of modern jets can cause some fit and construction problems, and they are so visible when the model is complete.

• Profile Photo

A little bit more work has been done, less than I'd like but still some progress regardless.

Firstly the nozzles were painted up using Titanium Silver, Titanium Gold, and Metallic Grey all from Tamiya, the Eduard masks that came with the resin set came in handy here...

Some modifications were done to the nozzle housing, notably removing some of the details that are on the F-14A and smoothing it down so it's more appropriate for the B, the shape of some panels was changed with a fair bit of putty, sanding, and some thin styrene sheets. Some work was also made on improving the fit of these to the fuselage, as even before I touched them they just didn't really fit.

Finally, some work on the landing gear was done. The modification for the wheels up wasn't the worst I've come across but not the easiest. The main wheels both have 3 doors, the rear door covering the leg fits with no modifications other than clipping off some attachments, the outboard door required some extra sanding but generally fits without too much issue, but the inboard door is completely undetailed due to it being unseeable as it opens flush against the fuselage, therefore some filling is needed to cover the two massive dips here.

For the nose wheel 4 doors are used, the doors didn't really have anything to latch into when gluing so I added some sprue to add some framework, normally I just put a big lump of blu-tack but I think I've used it all. Both halves were glued together. The two rear doors didn't fit and needed some sanding, which as you can see I sanded too much off. The larger front doors also didn't fit, being a bit too long and having a more angled front than the bay itself.

Overall, not the worst modification but some extra work is still to do.

• Profile Photo

Very nice work on the nozzles, Harvey.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 11 months ago:

It must be frustrating to have to modify virtually every kit in order to have the undercarriage retracted, but I'm sure you'll manage it OK. I guess you're going to need a pretty hefty stand to put this on when it's finished.

• Profile Photo

Thank you!

It is very annoying to modify the wheels so often, I feel like only Airfix bothers to give a wheels up option nowadays though I'm sure there are other companies I haven't built from that must have it.

I haven't even thought about the stand yet, I'll probably go my usual route with a rod and acrylic base, probably a thicker brass rod than usual but nothing too special. I could buy a fancy in-flight base and an A4 MDF board like I did for my G4M1, but to be honest that kit is also a big lump and is fine with only a fairly weak support. The main issue will be working out where I can drill a hole without getting in the way of ordinance or hitting a moving part of the wing, but I'm sure it can be done without too much fuss.

• Profile Photo

Those are some nice works, my friend @scalerambush.
    Loved the exhausts!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great, Harvey. (@scalerambush). I think most manufacturers and builders are a long way from the days when we used to build planes gear-up and hang them from the ceiling. Back in the 1950s, that's what we all did.

• Profile Photo

Just a very quick update on how this thing may/may not be put on a stand.

I drilled a hole in one of the slots for the AIM-7 fins, this is a 3mm (actually 2.8mm if you want to get fancy) brass rod. I doubt acrylic will be strong enough, but brass looks fine in my opinion and I've used it a lot in the past. If this doesn't work out, the hole is pretty small and not really noticeable and I could always shove a Sparrow over the top if I decide to, it also doesn't interfere with the wing swivel.

Still currently working on patching up some gaps and holes, after that I'll likely drill on some pointy bits before priming.

• Profile Photo

Looking really great, my friend @scalerambush!
    She's a big girl!

• Profile Photo

Indeed a full sized grown up, Harvey.
    Should be fine for the stand in this way.

• Profile Photo

Afternoon folks, a little bit more of an update. Hopefully over the weekend I can finish off the final little bits, the Tamiya instructions show to do the pilots, glare shields, and seats at the end but this is largely due to the kit being intended to have a canopy that can be opened and closed. As much as I'd rather put it off til later and get some paint on this cat it'll probably be best to get the cockpit done, fitted, and glued before that.

In the meantime some work was done to the nose, more tiny probes were added. Normally I'd add them at the end but I'm feeling brave apparently, though I've already forgotten they were there and grabbed the nose a few times but no damage yet. It occurs to me whilst typing this that I forgot decals exist, so let's hope they don't get in the way! I've also added on the resin chin pod, which has a few coloured plastic bits to put in it but that's a final step sort of thing.

The vertical stabilisers won't be added until the end, since they'll be all black I may as well just paint them seperately. At the moment blu-tack holds them on. The nozzles are also not glued in, these will just get added later. Interestingly they both fit well in the right, but only one fits in the left. I also weathered the interior of these exhausts with a heavy load of black oil paints, but haven't taken a photo yet.

Next up is to finish these little bits, hopefully I can get most if not all of that done by the end of the weekend. I'll likely modify the RIO slightly so he is looking out the window, maybe I'll have to have him holding a sign up to the camera like in this Tornado..

Nah, I won't, but I can't help but think of that photograph when I see a RIO looking out the side rather than head down in their high speed desk.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.