Tamiya F-14B (Conversion) 1/48, The Fighting 103.

Started by Harvey R. · 141 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Cold War, F-14, Jolly Roger, Tamiya, tomcat, Top Gun, VF-103
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is progressing nicely. Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Beautiful progress, Harvey.
    Would be awesome to see if you can add that sign as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @scalerambush!
    Yep, repositioning crew heads, arms etc, makes the model look nicely dramatic and realistic.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I didn't quite hit my goal, but still not a huge amount left to do before some paint can finally be put on this big bird.

Firstly, the crew were painted. Not my best work, I may do some extra highlighting to make it look a bit more varied than green, it's pretty shiny due to the wash but I think I'll give it a matt coat later on.

The ejection seats were also played around with, they're almost finished but require two major pieces being the striped pull handles (which, naturally, is a pain in the rear to paint), after that they'll recieve a wash, some decals, and maybe a few handles and such painted different colours.

The canopy has been test fitted, I tried to paint the front glass a slight green/blue tint but wasn't able to. One interesting tidbit of information I discovered (but haven't verified if true) is that the design of the front glass of the F-14 allowed it to be extremely strong at high speeds, whereas the better visibility of the F-15 means that it can only go at its top speed for a limited time before the front glass begins to take considerable damage. Again, not sure if this is true, but interesting if it is! Regardless, painting the colour with the airbrush only caused issues and trying to remove it also caused issues, it needs a bit more cleanup.

The next step is to clear coat the crew, finish the seats and then button everything up. Hopefully I can do it tomorrow and get paint on by Wednesday at the latest, we shall see.

• Profile Photo

The crew look very active, my friend @scalerambush!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

To me those pilots look great, Harvey.
    Nice paintwork.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I will echo all of the previous comments on the cool pilots, Harvey (@scalerambush). I had never heard that about the F-14 and F15 canopies. I am always amazed that manufacturers can even mold canopies that can be clear and still stand up to the stress of high speed flight.

• Profile Photo

Quick update:

Thanks for following along folks, hopefully I can finally get paint on the Cat tonight. It's proving difficult to find good moments to get the stinky paints out.

The main components are on sticks and ready to get sprayed. I glued in and masked off the canopy, before spraying in tamiya black to make the insides the right colour. I'll be using grey primer on this as Mr.Surfacer 1500 is a little bit of a pain to get and I didn't find any black, that being said I find grey is better for actually seeing flaws so it's likely a good thing.

• Profile Photo

Nice steps and looking forward to the paint result, Harvey.
    A great balancing performance on that stick.

• Profile Photo

Nice masking and black application, my friend @scalerambush!
    Looking forward to your next painting steps!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good, Harvey (@scalerambush). All of those vanes, probes, and pitots sticking out of the fuselage are scary. By this time I would have knocked most of them into the carpet.

• Profile Photo

Normally I don't add them so early! But I figured that I can just fix what I break if any do break.. We shall see!

The cat has been primed white rather than grey, as I forgot I had a bottle of it. This'll make it easier to see what I'm painting when it comes to the 3 tones of grey. I'll do another coat of primer over the fuselage and take some pictures later. One issue I'm having is that my normal 'safe space' where I can put kits to dry without worry of dust collecting doesn't quite work on the Tomcat as its a bit too big, but a few polishing sticks will help.

• Profile Photo

Nice that your Tomcat is primed, my friend @scalerambush.
    Regarding the "safe" place, how about the bathroom overnight?

• Profile Photo

Greeting folks, been a short while. Here's those photos of it primed in white, I'm having a little bit of an issue with one if the wheel wells which I thought was solved.

I painted the plane its first coat of grey with MRP paints over the fuselage and wings, this is the FS36375 Light Ghost Grey. It went on beautifully like expected, some dust appeared but this will be sanded down. I also need to fix that wheel well, if I had a time machine I'd do many things but one would be to approach that wheel well door differently.

Looking at reference photos I was expecting to do a very defined 3 tone scheme. Then looking at some refences photos of the particular airframe it seemed to be a more 2 tone scheme, but eventually I came across a few photos that show a subtle but viewable tiny section of the Medium Grey colour behind the RIO.

But that's getting ahead of myself, next up is to try and clear up the wheel doors and begin shading this Light Ghost Grey.

Also, I went to Duxford. Managed to get in a 1943 DeHavilland Dragon Rapide, turns out recently Armory Models announced a release of that plane in 1/48, I look forward to adding it to the stash.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Keep up the good work, Harvey, you're on the home straight now. A 1/48 Rapide would be nice.