Tamiya F-14B (Conversion) 1/48, The Fighting 103.

Started by Harvey R. · 141 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Cold War, F-14, Jolly Roger, Tamiya, tomcat, Top Gun, VF-103
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Really frustrating if decals decide to do things on their own, Harvey. @scalerambush
    Looking ok right now.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Harvey @scalerambush, the weathering looks great, pity there was no option on the decals, but I'm sure you'll get there. Looking forward to seeing her mounted on the stand.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Your persistence is admirable, Harvey (@scalerambush). I always approach the decals with a little fear, since anything that goes wrong at the end of a build is very frustrating, and it seems the problems can never be predicted. You weathering is awesome. I really like using oils on my models and now use them on most of my builds.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thank you folks, speaking of weathering I decided that I didn't do enough so I introduced a new method.

I call this, 'real weathering', this could be as simple as leaving the kit on a pacific island for a few years, or in my case dropping a load of clear coat on the model.

On a serious note, I got bored with the missiles and decided the Tomcat was a the point where 2 final clear coats would render it finished, so I got to work with semi-matt coat and then spilt some on the model when spraying. MRP has the habit of melting the paint when it goes on in a lump, so I left it to try and then sanded it off. So now I gotta redo the oils and all that fun stuff.

What's life without another setback?

• Profile Photo

For some reason those accidents seem to happen when nearly all is done, Harvey.
    Although it took you some time, you did a great recovery on that nasty area.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Nice recovery indeed, my friend @scalerambush!
    You are right about life's setbacks: if you have no challenge to face, there's nothing to win (though I hope you will not have another spillage on that beautiful finish...) 🙂
    Looking forward to your re-weathering of the restored area and your final steps!

• Profile Photo

Managed to get it fixed, one of the big issues is that a weird texture appeared near the 'neck' of the Tomcat as the clear coat flowed down the edge, causing an almost flame-cut weld from a Tank to appear. I tried to get at it as best as possible but the angle of where it is plus the toughness of it made it difficult, its still there but shouldn't be noticeable unless you're up close.

Regardless, after sanding, painting, sanding more, painting again, giving it a wash, and touching up with some oils it should be good to go. After taking these photos I added some more oil to the leading edge, on pictures this is not very weathered but I felt it was a bit too perfectly clean in the following photos.

• Profile Photo

Looking FANTASTIC, my friend @scalerambush!
    The "weird texture" is unnoticeable.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I agree, Harvey (@scalerambush). The paint and weathering looks terrific, and I can't see any flaws that stand out, so well done on the repairs.

• Profile Photo

Thanks folks. I gave it another clear coat all over plus some extra on the repainted parts, and now I'm out of MRP Semi-matt so the missiles will have to be given maybe some Vallejo Satin.

More noticeably I removed the masks. There's some minor issues with some fogging, the kind that some water on a rag would fix. This is likely due to the canopy needed plastic parts glued to it, if I had glued them on and let it dry there probably wouldn't have been a problem but as I glued the parts on and then glued the canopy down I guess the glue fumes had no where to go. Ah well.

Heres some pictures of the texture issue, it's not a problem from viewing distance but up close I can notice it.

Gotta finish up those missiles then call it a day.

• Profile Photo

Another post? Don't mind if I do.

Was about to say 'the Tomcat is wrapped up*', and then I realised I forgot the nav lights. D'oh. Tomorrow is the day it'll be finished then.

*excluding them pesky missiles

Speaking of missiles, I got the last of the Phoenix's decals done. Now for the Sparrows and Sidewinders, joy.

Regardless, pretty happy with how this came out. It wasn't the most fun build and that's largely because I plucked this one out of the stash without as much motivation for it as normal, but in the end its been a enjoyable build and most importantly I've learnt a few things.

I got a bit more hands on with resin, something that still somewhat scares me, which is all practice for the intriguing world of conversions. I also got a bit more practice with oils, and dare I say actually somewhat enjoyed the process and results whereas every time before I haven't, something I largely attribute to using 'modelling' oils rather than artist oils which means the drying time was more manageable.

Hopefully the next post is missiles done. As you can see the racks and rails are all done and on the jet.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Harvey, that is looking awesome! two thumbs up

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking great, Harvey @scalerambush, you must be really pleased how it's turned out.

• Profile Photo

An exceptional result, Harvey.
    She is a real winner.
    A real eyecatcher in your cabinet.

• Profile Photo

Yep, truly excellent, my friend @scalerambush!