Tamiya F4U-1A, 1/32. 'KD431'

Started by Harvey R. · 80 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Spectacular, Harvey (@scalerambush). This really has been quite the journey, and a real showcase of what can be done with skill and effort to make a plane indistinguishable from the real thing. My mind is boggled by your hand-painting of the serial number, which demonstrates a skill well past any painting skills I have, even when I was younger and had steady hands.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thank you! The trick with the serials is you didn't see the 4 attempts prior where I 'rubbed out' the failures with a cocktail stick!

Calling the Corsair Complete

Perhaps unsurprisingly a few things popped up last minute, these didn't take long but I'd be just about read to take photos and I'd remember a new task. Pushrods on the ailerons and elevator, a missing piece from the wheel wells. Just as I was about to work on the nav lights (which were to be sanded down from the original kit piece) I remembered that KD431 does actually have nav lights fitted, so a hole will drilled to mimick the missing bulb, and of course finally the anti-slip mats were done. This was done with NATO black, some neutral grey highlights, and then some medium grey drybrushing.

Regardless here's the end result, I'll need to get that headline written up!

Thanks for following along folks, and for all your input over this project's duration!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

This is clearly a supreme result, my friend @scalerambush! What a thread!
    Congratulations!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

This is inbelievable, Harvey @scalerambush
    The Corsair looks extremely realistic.
    Well done and congratulations.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Really spectacular. Highly realistic. Great work!