Tamiya P-47D Thunderbolt, 1/48. Razorback and Bubbletop, Europe and Asia.

Started by Harvey R. · 84 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Two amazing builds, Harvey @scalerambush
    Even the close-ups show how perfect your builds are.
    Mostage-man is a great addition to the Jungle Queen.
    Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Thank you very much!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

WRT Eileen, you won't find much chipping on 78th FG T-bolts (or P-51s) since Duxford had the biggest grass field of any RAF station in England.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Congratulations my friend @scalerambush! Your builds are truly superlative! Your detailed build thread a joy to follow!

• Profile Photo

I don't disagree, the problem with models is there's always that desire to add a little bit extra, something to break up some of the panels. It's not too bad on the left wing with the star, but I wanted to add a little bit of chipping on the right hand side as it lacks the nose art or wing star and ended up feeling like I needed to duplicate it on both sides in the end.

I tried to keep the chipping minimal, focusing largely on access panels and wing root, also copying what I could see with the P-47s in those photos posted on page 1 which show a good amount of chipping around the cockpit presumably from entry/exit of the aircraft as well as the sliding canopy itself. Of course, different airframe, different time, different location, but that's where the thought process was.

That being said I'm sure I read somewhere that the P-47s at Duxford were prohibited from taxiing or parking with flaps down due to concerns of rocks hitting the flaps, which I never particularly understood as I've been to Duxford (even been lucky enough to fly in a couple times) and I certainly don't see many rogue rocks. As always, un-citational comments on forums are of dubious help.

On another subject I do need to get a Duxford 'stang done, 'Big Beautiful Doll' is a likely candidate, even if it is arguably the most commonly done scheme. Though, I feel like that name is cursed as they seem to have an accident a with a P-51 dressed up in that marking every few years.

• Profile Photo

The Final Detail

And to finish it off, the seatbelts arrived. This was a generic USAAF and USN seatbelt set from eduard.

One concern I had was that the seat was glued in but slightly loose and wobbly, luckily this meant that now I could give it a little tug and remove it without issue making applying the PE much easier. With that done I took a few photos of the model clean, but then glued on the external stores.

Thank you all for coming along the ride with these builds. All in all I think they came out quite nicely, a few hiccups here and there but nothing major. Crucially, the Tamiya kit that has been praised to be the best P-47 in the scale has definitely lived up to the hype. I'd definitely build the kit again, so maybe I'll tackle the can of worms which is the P-47M and her unique colour schemes.

Also once again I appreciate all the advice regarding history and such, whilst I'd like to think I know my way around a Corsair I certainly can't say the same for a P-47. Speaking of knowing your way around this plane, how about pretending you're a would-be Thunderbolt pilot and watching these interesting videos from a different era.

In the meantime I'll get to work on a headline post. Also, those seatbelts didn't meet the minimum cost requirement for delivery so it turns out I have a couple of resin seats to paint.

Fin.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Well done, my friend @scalerambush!
    Superb!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

If you're going to do a Duxford P-51, the Eduard "P-51K" release has my friend the late Huie Lamb's "Etta Jean II" as an option. It definitely hasn't been "done to death."

As far as the flaps up at Duxford rule was concerned, Wayne Coleman and Huie Lamb both confirmed that rule and the reason why. It doesn't take much of a rock - a large pebble will do - to potentially hit something important in the flap retraction gear, or get caught in it and cause problems, etc.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Those seatbelts look great, Harvey @scalerambush
    That tiny seat looks very detailed, amazing to see what they achieve with resin.