Tamiya RNZAF F4U-1D Corsair, 1/48

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 75 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

That's a great looking engine, my friend @uscusn!
    Funny thing the starboard tailplane gap...

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great progress Chuck , I remember sitting in the cockpit of an RNZAF F4U-1 as a boy and thinking how huge it was!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great steps made, Chuck.
    Nice result with the silver over black for the engine.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Spiros, the kit supplied engine has good detail and great to work with to make them pop with the washes.
    Hi David, I know that as well, and you know still quite large now being full grown. Most of the Navy stuff were quite large. Funny how that is to limited space on a carrier.
    John, painting the engines black first then apply the aluminum or steel lightly over the black especially around the cooling fins of the cylinders heads give them some depth.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This session will have me build the inner and outer flaps. With the wings folded they will be in the down configuration.

Starting with the inner flaps will assemble 3 sets a side.

Next the outer wing flaps.

Then the inner set up against the fuselage. The RH inner with the built in step. This should be filled for this model. I'm going to leave it alone.

All 6 completed.

Next to build the outer wing panels. I will not install the rocket stubs for this version.

Like the Birdcage I had built about a couple of years ago, the wings are well detailed with fine details and panel lines.

Upper/lower halves assembled.

Next the wing inner panel is installed. The part has very fine details.

Finally the inner hard points are attached to the lower wing section. With some leftover black in the airbrush I had started to pre shade the lower section as well.

Next up clean up the seams and attach the canopy.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Some nice progress, Chuck.
    Details on the wings are indeed nice.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice flaps construction, my friend @uscusn!
    Cannot wait to build my bird cage!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice work on this kit, Chuck (@uscusn). It is amazing how detailed this kit is, especially with the wing folds.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice progress here @uscusn. Those carrierbirds really are something.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years ago:

Thanks Eric, they are and more appealing to me parked wings folded.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years ago:

With the clean up around the airframe, time to attach the glass.

Starting with the gun sight mounted on the coaming. Will go back and paint the base of the gun sight black.

A pair of braces are mounted on the panel, each side of the sight.

The smaller of the two is placed on the RH side.

Next the inner glass plate is then placed at the center of the panel in front of the gun sight.

Finally the windscreen is then set in place over the dash cowl.

Tamiya always provide crystal clear glass components.

Next up is to complete the inner wing details and finish the post shading and the interior green glass framing.

more to follow

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Great transparancy, like you said, Chuck.
    Also the fitting looks perfect.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 3 years ago:

Looking great so far, I recently added another trio of Tamiya Corsairs to the stash and one will be recieving the RNZAF treatment.

If you're dead set on the folded wings, go for it! But one thing I would add is that the RNZAF didn't have the need to fold the wings on the Corsairs often, some (like the USMC sometimes did) even had the hydraulic mechanism removed to save weight, the aircraft could still be folded manually however.

Again, never say never, there are pictures of folded up RNZAF Corsairs out there such as that well known 'Yellow 307' scheme of the two Corsairs put together down the middle, but it wasn't the norm unlike the FAA and USN. Ultimately its your model, your rules! I look forward to seeing the finished result.

FYI, those braces are actually the switches for ordinance for the -1D since it was given a lot of capability in the fighter-bomber role whereas earlier Corsairs were limited to just a bomb(s) with a release button.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

That's one amazing gunsight, my good friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Nick P said 3 years ago:

Please note where the instructions have you remove the small air scoop in the right/forward fuselage behind the cowling. That scoop is only applicable to the F4U-2 night fighters, and should not be present on your F4U-1D. Awesome build, by the way...!