Tamiya TF-51D Conversion

Started by Jim Harley · 8 · 3 years ago · 1/48th scale, Alclad, Mr. Color, P-51 Mustang, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I've always wanted to do a model of a TF but I missed the boat with the Kiwi Conversion...soo I thought I'd give a go at making my own conversion. Here's the journey...started with a fubar'd project and went from there. I ended up buying a Dental Vacuum machine for the canopies...I've got a few conversions on the list 🙂 The project got rolling with some bass wood and super glue, and a bunch of sand paper. Once everything fit I primed bass wood with Tamiya primer and wet sanded everything smooth for casting. The canopy profile was made from some reference photos I had taken of Toulouse Nuts while she was still being rebuilt. I used Magic Sculpt to dial in the shape. This stuff is amazing. 90% of the shape was done by shaping the putty with water and rubber clay tools. The initial mold making process had some teething issues with air bubbles, but it didn't take much to work out mold angles and filler spouts. The molds and resin were made with the "resin starter kit" from Hobby Lobby and made by Alumilite. Now that I know how all this stuff works I'm going to order some "high performance" silicon rubber and resin from Brink in the Yard.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Once the resin parts were fit to the new kit the build was straight forward. I did shave down the inner wings and wheel wells to get the proper dihedral. This is a beautiful kit, I guess my only issues with it are the lack of wing dihedral and the canopy sprues. Moving along through paint I used Mr. Color gloss black and wet sanded it with 6,000 micromesh. The Alclad went on beautifully with a base of Polished Aluminum, I sectioned off various panels for Dull Aluminum, Aluminum, and Stainless Steel. The glare panel and red trim are Tamiya paints. I wish I had matched the red to the decals but I didn't realize until it was too late.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The last hurdle was the canopy. After watching several YouTube tutorials and spending a few hours on Google reading up on methods it was time to go for it. I pulled in the initial canopy directly from the wood/Magic Sculpt...talk about showing every flaw! Back to the drawing board. I had polished the magic sculpt until shined but the wood showed every grain. I taped off the MS and built up the wood with Tamiya primer and wet sanded it smooth. Once that was done I made a silicon mold of the plug and cast it in resin. It took 3 tries in the Vac machine to get a bubble free canopy but it sure works great! The rest of the build went smooth...Mike Grant decals, Ultracast flaps, elevators, and prop rounded everything out. This won't be the last TF, Toulouse, Crazy Horse and probably Lady Jo at some point. Thanks for having a look!

Jim

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This is a great conversion, Jim (@jimh). I have thought of doing something like this for a while, but was always put off by the steep learning curve and the hardware involved. Now that you have done all of the ground work, you can convert just about anything. Looking forward to future conversions.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Wow Jim, nicely done indeed. I expect to see her at Cleveland in November?

• Profile Photo

Thanks! you know I figured everything was cancelled but sure enough it's on...lunch is on me!

Jim

• Profile Photo

Thanks! As soon as I get the TF parts stocked up I'm going to start a Dago Red/Strega conversion. I'm still debating on a full fuselage or just the turtledeck. I'm not sure how Tamiya feels about copying their parts. The biggest hurdle was by-far the canopy and the Vac machine makes it painfully easy once the plug is made. I really like the Alumilite system but all the videos I've seen from Brick in the Yard lead me to think the silicon they produce is stronger in the long run for multiple castings. The TF is relatively simple and not many undercuts to worry about, anything more complicated will require a stronger molding silicon. I got 10 cockpits and 7 instrument panels from the first molds I made before they started to degrade...theoretically I should be able to get 20-25, if not more. It's fun for sure!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Jim @jimh!
    This is a wonderful job and I love those conversions.
    What a great looking Mustang!
    Most importantly, following George's above comment, is that you've set up your base work to convert everything.
    Well done!