Test build: Airfix P-51D Mustang 1/48

Started by Stellan Schroeder Englund · 31 · 6 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, Mustang, P-51D, test build
  • Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Does anyone know how American civilian registrations work? What I would like to know is if there have/had to be a registration on wing top and bottom, wing bottom only or if side of fuselage was/is enough? My Cavalier inspired Mustang will be from the 60´s but set in a recent time. Any ideas?

• Profile Photo

All of a sudden I got the front wing insert sanded and I realized the wing was ready to be glued to the fuselage. Now it starts to look like an aircraft.

All fitted very well. The trailing end sits like a glove sandwiched between the fuselage and the radiator intake.

The lower front fitted to the engine area with distinction...except for a hair fine line that will be filled with a bit of Mr Surfacer. A slight sanding over all joints to erase any traces of glue will be done tomorrow.

The machine gun inserts fitted also very well, no problems here.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Hello Stellan...

Looks great my friend. Now I'm really getting excited to see how it progresses from here !

As far as US Civil registrations, to my best knowledge, the "N" numbers are only required to be on each side the fuselage, and I "think" they are only required to be around 4 to 6 inches tall...

Most are applied just under the stabilizer on Warbirds. This way they are not too noticeable...

Like this picture I took of a P-51 recently: This one has the "N" number of NL5427V

Many years ago (back in the 1930's and 1940's) they were placed on the wings too, and had to be much larger in size. One set of registration numbers was visible from the top of the wing, and one set visible from underneath. The older style "NC" upper registration number was on the Starboard upper side, while the lower was on the Port underside of the wings.

Back then they also started with the letters "NC", where now they simply use the alphabet letter "N".

The aircraft registration numbers for the US always start with an "N", but then various combinations of letters and numbers can be used...

Hope this helps...

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot, Louis. It does help a lot. I wasn´t sure and rules and regulations are a jungle out there. I have been looking at Mustangs, civilians from the 60´s-70´s and warbirds of more recent dates but most photos of aircraft are from side or sometimes top side, seldom from the bottom. I´ll probably have a reg reading NP51D, many have something similar. 4 inches are as far from the 50´s huge buzz numbers as you can get.

Re the gun ports... I´m not sure I´ll keep them. Many civilian Mustangs had them faired or at least capped. However, this one will be a worn one undergoing maintenance, perhaps being assembled from parts... It is a build review (most of it anyway...) and not a total conversion to a Cavalier Mustang II so I don´t have to be totally faithful.

• Profile Photo

Measured the fin extension from a photo and came up with the right proportions for the so typical Cavalier modified Mustangs. After a few layers of Tamiya fine white putty, some carving and a bit of careful sanding I think I got it right. After taking the photo I brushed a layer of Mr Surfacer over the fin extension in order to erase any imperfections. Will sand it tomorrow for a smooth and even surface.

Noble nose of a Mustang.

Spent a bit of time looking for typical civilian details like radio and navigation antennas...will add some visual interest to this weary aircraft on its way to a new life. Next bits ready for gluing are the stabilizers and radiator outlets. Hmm me think we are getting close to painting in a few days.

• Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Wow, what a great build! Very comprehensive and incredibly useful. Thanks for taking us along for your build!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Lee. Stay with me for a bit longer...hope I will not disappoint you.

• Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looking good and cannot wait to see the end results of your labor!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Lee, very kind of you to say so!

• Profile Photo

After sanding and final shaping of the fin extension I gave it a coat of Tamiya´s grey primer to check for blemishes. No worries at all. Scribed some panel lines but there is something wrong to the proportions apparently as the panel lines didn´t match up as per photos... never mind, it will be fine on this model.

Added the stabilizer. The fit into the slots are perfect but one have to get the angles straight vertically. No hanging parts here!

Dry fitted the elevators to be sure all was OK. Yep, all looks fine to me. Fantastic fit. Details on rudders and stabilizer are amazing and will suit most modellers I believe.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

You have made some wonderful progress... The parts look great on yours. Any luck on the antennae photos ?

I'm getting Mustang fever...

• Profile Photo
    John Ferdico said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Your build is coming along nicely. Thought I’d chime in on that lower fuselage clamp: I’m having the same experience. The sandwiched radiator parts make the fit VERY snug. Discovering the resistance during a test fit, I was careful to clean and smooth all the contact surfaces of the radiator parts (scraping away overspray, etc) to get a true fit. But even then it required some real pressure to close the joints.

It’s not at all a poor fit; in fact, it’s just a little TOO perfect.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Great to see the progress you've made Stellan - good to see the kit actually being built!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for your comments, gentlemen!

Louis, as I have no idea what antennaes I´m looking at I have a bit trouble replicate them. However, I think I will go for a backward slanting whip antenna in white on underside and a small blade on each side of the fin tip. Many have a wire antennae running from fin to fuselage, just beside canopy, on right hand side.

John, yes, it is as if they forgot to allow for glue.

David, I have promised myself to keep only kit I will actually build. The others will have to go.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looking fantastic!