The rampage continues: Tamiya new 109 G-6

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 67 · 4 years ago · 1/48, 109 G-6, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 7 months ago:

So, after completing a few 109 G's from Eduard, after tackling the Zvezda kit (recently posted here), I got my hands on the new(ish) G-6 from Tamiya.
    Yes, I did some promises out loud about not buying the kit, after all why would I (or we, the modelers worldwide) buy another 109 when there are at least 2 fantastic kits in the market for anyone who wishes to build the Gustav version of the venerable Messerchmitt design?
    Well the simple answer is because I saw one in my LSP and couldn't refrain myself from reaching the wallet.
    So if you are curious about the kit, perhaps thinking about it the same way I was not long ago, or if you are just a 109aholic like me then perhaps this thread sounds interesting.

I bought a few AM goodies to make the build as simple as possible, not forgetting getting the overall end quality of the model up a notch or two (or so I hope).
    These goodies are not mandatory of course. In fact the price I paid for the box here was twice the price of the competitors, Eduard and Zvezda. So getting these made the bill a bit too excentric for my liking. To ease my conscience I will only build 1 box of this kit, unlike Eduard, wich I collect at a steady pace of 2 per year.

Here’s some images of the lot, and let’s see how it goes in the next few days

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

A ‘109aholic’, huh? Sounds about right, Pedro. I’m sure there’s a cure for that; prudence, hiding your wallet, staying away from the internet, not looking at pretty pictures of piston engined aircraft, delaying gratification and excercising common sense and austerity. But who the hell wants a cure - bring it on my BF besotted friend - work starts with the cockpit!

• Profile Photo

Damm right David!

So Tamiya-San designed the cockpit in a way it can be instaled after we glue the fuselage halves. Now usually this sounds like a good idea right? Yeah...like it’s good theory for a not so good practice.

You can see in the images how the tube fits upward in the fuselage, complementing the parts that are on the side walls. However I fear that the line it creates, non existent on the actual plane, will be noticeable. Hope I’m wrong with this one.

Another small but annoying issue are the sink or raised marks in the side walls. Just why?

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I'm watching this one ! I wrote a two part kit review on this one a while ago.

Kit review – 1/48 Tamiya 61117 Messerschmitt Bf-109 G6, Part 1 of 2
    Now I have 3 of them in queue for early next year. Like you I really enjoy building the German planes. As far as the ejector pin marks, I'm fairly certain they are in places where they should not be seen once assembled. (That's what I'm hoping for anyhow). However they may be visible if you wanted to open up a side panel to show off the interior of the fuselage behind the cockpit. Hopefully they're not too much of a problem for you. Please keep us posted with how this progresses. Thanks for starting another build journal. I'll be watching it like I did your Zvezda and Eduard builds.
  • Profile Photo

Louis, I recall your review very well and it was one of the reasons that got me a bit more curious about the plastic inside the box. When I saw th frames at the shop I was already hooked.

Sadly one needs to fill or sand down a couple of those marks present in the cockpit walls. It’s obviously not a problem, au contraire, but why Tamiya got them there puzzles me. Almost.50€ for a XXI century kit that present the same sink holes as a 1995 edition. If they developed the ease of construction even more, why not solve this?

I suspect to build it faster than I did the competitors and I won’t be doing the kit’s decal options. Glad to have you aboard my friend

• Profile Photo

Here are a few more pics of the cockpit assembly. Almost all details have been painted, just some retouching needed in a few spots. After that the fuselage halves can be glued and the cockpit floor assembled at a later stage.
    By now I can opinate about the quality of the this area of the plane VS Eduard and Zvezda. Tamiya has the best OOB but by a narrow margin. Had it included the fuel pipe that runs in the portside wall in clear plastic (like Zvezda and Eduard do) and it would be the best by a comfortable margin. That said Zvezda is almost neck to neck with this one and Eduard needs some more PE to get all that detail you get here OOB.

The sink holes saga continues and these need to be filled if you are planning to make your model with flaps and radiators down/open. Annoying and worse than the competition here.

More updates soon

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Progress coming along nicely, sir - we'll be watching with keen interest. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Terrific shading, Pedro - by the looks of it you’ve been going to ‘Spanish School’. Lovely work.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Craig!

• Profile Photo

David, that you see is nothing but me using my new mobile phone which has far better lens than my old photo camera 🙂

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The cockpit is almost done. Missing the shoulder belts, that will be added later on, and the front windscreen with the IP. This area should be an improvement over all other moulds so far, and one which I hope will preserve those details just front of the windscreen and still have a perfect joint line with the fuselage. Added a photo of the Eduard 109 F-4 (another ongoing project) so the subtle differences between different approaches to build the same area can be seen. Notice that I needed a bit of filler just ahead of the windscreen in Eduard's kit.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Getting close to finish several subassemblies before tackling the biggest of them all, the engines (since I"ll be doing what really differentiates this kit from the remaining 109s in the market--doing both closed and open engine).

The kit has the tailplane inserted after gluing the fuselage halves and the elevators also in place (as you can see in the photos below).

The lower wing simply claps into place but unfortunately has a V line that needs to be eliminated (kinda like Eduard does. Again see photo below). Why, unlike the tailpane, it doesn't simply join in matching lines of the airframe is something I don't understand. Thanks for watching and commenting if you feel like so.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Quick update:
    Some filling is required on the lower wing, which I did using some CA with talcum powder. Seems Tamiya made it thinking of further Gustav versions.
    The fit of the part that made the back of canopies didn't fit that good, probably my fault.
    More soon, the kit builds fast as usual from this brand

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Following this with great enjoyment. You have a spare Sagres Mini? I could pull up a chair and do some of those seam lines...

Thanks for the update; it infuriates (well, mildly irritates) me when manufacturers do something like that ‘V line’ where the lower wings join the fuselage. Would it have killed then to cut the edges along a natural panel line?

I have to say that I really, really like your painting. It has a very subtle Spanish school effect that takes the best of that approach while not becoming ‘cartoonish’. Very well done, amigo.

• Profile Photo

David, there’s always beer in the fridge for you!

And yes, it mildly irritates me as well when you pay a wealthy sum for what some folks dubbed the “kit of the year 2018” and then you get spurious joint lines or a plethora of sunk moulding marks. I must say that the Gekko I built last year, wich was a 1998 or so mould, had fewer of these nuisances, go figure that!?

And thank you for the compliment about the painting. I’m not sure if my way is the Spanish school or else, but it is what looks better in my naked eye, especially for areas that are not exposed, like cockpits, compartments and U/C areas. Oddly I don’t use much that lighter/darker contrast in the visible areas of the plane because direct light (natural or indoor) does tend to enhance the effect to a level that I find a bit unreal (or cartoonish as you name it). Personal preferences, nothing more.