Third time’s the charm – Eduard P-51D

Started by Tom Cleaver · 9 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Closing in on three P-15s for 2020.

To me, the hardest paint scheme to do is a single color. Especially NMF. You can do different shades, but you have to hit the marks all the way around or it isn't going to cut it. That's why most of my NMF schemes have other colors in them sufficient to pull the eye away. With this one, the nose will do that, but the entire rest of the airframe is different shades of NMF. But I pulled it off.

Tamiya Flat Aluminum thinned with Micro-Coat clear gloss 50-50 to do the lacquered wings. Overall Vallejo "Aluminum," with panels masked off and done with "Dull Aluminum" (gas tanks under wing, panel under intercooler in the lower nose, radiator area of scoop); "Semi-Matte Aluminum" for side panels on fuselage under cockpit and nose; "Duraluminum" for the panels around the exhaust stacks.

I'm also including a nice color photo of"Missy", an airplane that took the place of "Alabama Rammer-Jammer" (the Mustang I am doing) a P-51D-15 of the 353rd FG's 325nd FS, flown by 1st Lt Arthur Cundy, another of the young aces who found that the laws of chance at 20,000 feet were different than the laws of probability at 100 feet over a German airfield filled with light flak after he was shot down on a strafing mission three weeks before the end of the war. Barracuda Decals from "P-51D Mustangs Part 1"

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice, Tom! Your P-51s are great looking.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice to see you building another P51, Tom.
    Another great looking Mustang coming up.
    Happy New Year and stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looks like another beauty Tom.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice!
    Looking forward to it, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

decals done last night, set up overnight, perfecto if I do say so myself. Interestingly, this is the first 353rd FG P-51 I've ever done. Decals for them are not exactly "thick on the ground."

Also a photo of 1st Lt Arthur Cundy and his crew (he's second from right, the guy to his immediate right is his good friend and wingman, the crew are the guys on either end). I've run across an interesting site, an archive of combat reports of 8th AF P-51 pilots. Cundy's account of his March 2, 1945, combat SW of Dessau in which he shot down a 109 and two 190s is one of the most colorful accounts I've ever read. He comes across as someone I think I would have enjoyed knowing. He was a whole 21 years old when he "failed to return" on March 9, a week after he doubled his score to 6 and became an ace.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Almost there. Looks like you’ll be able to pop that bubbly real soon.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Close to the finish line, Tom.
    Nice progress.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Speed of light assembly/painting/decalling, this beauty will cross the finish line at no time, Tom!
    I liked the pic and short story above...