Toulouse Nuts 1/48 Tamiya TF-51 Conversion

Started by Jim Harley · 18 · 3 years ago · Mustang, P-51 Mustang, resin conversion, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Backburner project pushed to the front. I’ve refined the parts and made new molds for a couple requests. The first conversion I made per Temco drawings instead of the actual model, which set the rear instrument panel back about 5mm too far. Easy fix, just cut the cockpit floor further up, fortunately the canopy and fuse plug are spot on, way to go Tamiya 🙂 If all goes well this will be finished up tomorrow. I stuck my original vac canopy on just for fun, still have to make a new one.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looking great, Jim!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Nice results, Jim.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Really nice looking pair of P-51s, Jim (@jimh). The natural metal is very effective. Did you also make the decals?

• Profile Photo

Hey George, thanks! The decals for the Indiana Mustang are from Mike Grant, Toulouse is from Drawdecal. Both are great! Drawdecals have several TF choices...kinda fun to build something other than a ‘stocker’

• Profile Photo

Hey George, thanks! The decals for the Indiana Mustang are from Mike Grant, Toulouse is from Drawdecal. Both are great! Drawdecals have several TF choices...kinda fun to build something other than a ‘stocker’

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Jim, @jimh
    It's great to see you back on here posting again, and you have picked another fabulous subject...

That is an impeccable metallic finish you have replicated on both of your planes. My friend Mike L. painted the one that flies as part of the Collings Foundation tour. Mike's a great person, and he's an even better painter. I took a bunch of pictures of the real Toulouse Nuts as it was being restored. Here's a few showing them getting it ready to start the tour last year...

Enjoy these my friend ! Stay safe...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Ahhh, are there any better photos of those blanked over MG ports?

• Profile Photo

@lgardner Thanks, work has been nuts but not complaining. Thanks for post more photos of TL, she's a beaut! I may be down in November for a mini "collings reunion" for us old guys...virus restrictions permitting. I may end up giving this model to one of my friends at the shop. Alclad and I have made friends...kinda don't want to do anything OD anymore 🙂 Still plugging on the Panther as well. The Cleveland show is cancelled so the pressure is off . More soon! Stay safe my friend

• Profile Photo

99% done, clamshells, touch up the canopy, panel wash and she’s done. More to come!

Jim

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looks fantastic, Jim!
    Approaching the finish line!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This build gets better and better, Jim (@jimh). I have used Draw Decals before, but for airliners. I will need to look at their military decals. I used Alclad many years ago when you had to worry about it peeling off or rubbing off until you sprayed the sealer on. Are they still the same, or are they more user friendly now?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Jim, @jimh
    You are almost there, and boy it's sure looking good. If you come down here in November give me a shout. I talked to "Mike L" from the shop yesterday. Things are going as good as can be down here.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Great looking Mustang it is, Jim.

• Profile Photo

@gblair I'll tell yah George, Aclad and I did not get along at first. I used the Aclad black base primer and it never fully cured. I tried to spray over it with Alclad Aluminum and it peeled right off with tape. So, I switched to Mr. Color Gloss black, top coated with Mr. Color Gloss Clear and wet sanded with 4000 Mico Mesh. The finish was rock hard and smooth. The Alcad colors worked perfectly. It took me just over an hour to paint Toulouse with 3 different shades of Aluminum using Tamiya tape for each panel. Once that was done I sprayed a coat of Alclad Gloss clear over the entire airframe and applied the decals. Once the decals were dry I sprayed it with Mr. Color Gloss clear and applied the Tamiya Washes. It seems involved but it works a treat.

Glad you guys are liking this build, it's a fun project. A friend of mine is bugging me to make TF parts for the Eduard D. The canopy fits the Eduard D as long as it is displayed open. There is a bout a 1/2mm difference between the two kits, the Eduard being slightly wider. I'll probably end up doing that one as well 🙂

Thanks for all the kind comments!
    Mustangs Forever!
    Jim