Trio of Hudsons in 1/72

Started by George R Blair Jr · 355 · 4 months ago · 1/72, 3D printing, Italeri, Lockheed Hudson, MPM, Revell
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

I think what Revell suggests is to "allow" the rhe roughly 1mm gap at the front and fill it, rather than force close it (if it can be nevertheless forced), my friend @gblair, otherwise the front transparency will be wider than the resulting fuselage opening. In any case, trial and error fitting will solve everything. I would use some sort of styrene shim/strip or so to initially treat the gap, rather than plain filler: will provide a stronger, less brittle joint.

• Profile Photo
    Martin said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

Interesting project ... where is the popcorn?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

Hi Matt (@matthewfdyer): You are right. Every day I see 3D printed parts advertised in magazine or see them in articles that are absolutely stunning in their detail. Some things have so much detail that they are very difficult to paint, especially if they come as one part. It seems like most of the resin parts that you see for sale have been resin printed rather than cast in a mold. Now when I go back and look at the resin stuff I bought a few years ago, it's detail just doesn't hold up to the new stuff. I hope one day to be able to design and print my own stuff like that, but I need to upgrade my design skills and software first.

• Profile Photo

I think you are right, Spiros (@fiveten). I think what I will end up doing is gluing all of the fuselage together except for the upper portion forward of the windscreen, let it dry, then insert and glue the 1mm strip. This will allow me to assemble the fuselage and test fit the parts that glue to the front of the fuselage. I expect to find that I will need the 1mm strip to make things fit correctly, but test fitting will confirm that. If I do the Revell fuselage first, then I will know what to expect for the other two. It is cool that Revell gives you a heads-up.

• Profile Photo

Hi Martin (@impisi). We may need some popcorn to get through this project, but I will need to watch out for fingerprints from the butter.

• Profile Photo

Hi John (@johnb). The Revell instructions are interesting for several reasons. The Italeri instructions appear to be a direct copy of the original MPM instructions. The steps and diagrams are identical. So Revell did their own instructions. Also, if the Revell parts are from the original MPM molds, then any fit problems from the original kit would still be present in the Revell parts. Perhaps Revell is just acknowledging that the fuselage needs this 1mm strip to make the other parts of the nose fit correctly. I will bet that the other two kits also need the strip, but it isn't in the instructions. This goes back to the idea of checking the fit on limited run kits before committing to glue. We will know more as the kit progresses.

• Profile Photo
    Martin said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

Ohh, sure George (@gblair) I will kepp my fingers with me, I promise

• Profile Photo

I plan to use the Revell kit as my lead plane. I will do some work sub-assemblies, test fit, and so on. Once I feel good about where I am, then I will replicate the process with my other two kits. These kits seem like high-end limited run kits, I plan to do a lot of the check fit, sand, measure, check fit again until everything looks like it will fit. I built some cockpit sub-assemblies. Paint will be next. There are some stairs that lead down to the nose from the cockpit which are missing. I may add these later. I have the dentist tomorrow to finish repairing a crown, and my checkup with my doctor on Wednesday, so I don't know how much time I will have for the next couple of days. More soon. Cheers.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

Hey George, cool project. I just started on a Hudson as well, however, I am tackling the Airfix kit. I have an early white box pressing of the kit and everything fits together really well. The plastic nice and hard, and there is very little flash. I intentionally chose this one over the newer kits because I like taking these old kits and bringing them up to current standards. So far I've only sanded down the steamer rivets and identified some areas that need correction. But it will be fun, nonetheless.

I'll keep my eye open for this build thread because I like the Hudson as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

Excellent steps, myfriend @gblair! Test fit, sand and repeat sounds like the go-to process here. I believe the clear nose width will determine how "wide" you should leave (how much gap you will allow) at the fuselage front. This is an amazing project, clearly they are limited run kits, not for everyone, easily tackled by your excellent skills, though.

Hope all is good with the doctors and looking forward to your next installment!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

That strip is clearly necessary, George @gblair
    Proper test fitting seems to be required for these kits.
    Good luck at your medical appointments.

• Profile Photo

Hi Carl (@clipper): My original plan was to use the 3 Airfix Hudsons I have in the stash to do this project, then I realized I had the MPM and Revell kits also. So, then the plan was to use 1 Airfix Hudson along with the 2 newer kits. Then I was on Ebay looking for some canopy masks when I found the Italeri Hudson for a really good price, so I bought it and added it to the other two. It works well because they all come from the same molds. Plus I still have the Airfix kits to do some more Hudsons later. I missed your Hudson build. I need to find it so I can follow your Airfix creation. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

Hi Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb): The Revelll kit is the only one that identifies this area as one that will need this adjustment, the other two don't. I wanted to start with the Revell kit, since they say to add a 1mm strip here, and then I will have a guide for the other 2 kits. I will still need to do a lot of fitting, but at least there is a guide to give you a "heads-up".

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

George, @gblair, I haven't put up anything on the Hudson build so far. Too early in the process.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

I will be following along when you start posting, Carl (@clipper). I always learn new things when I watch how others approach models I am familiar with.