US Navy Spitfire Mk.Vb at D-Day: 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk. Vb Weekend Kit

Started by George R Blair Jr · 224 · 2 months ago · 1/32, D-Day, Hobby Boss, Spitfire Mk Vb, VOS-7
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 1 week ago:

The decaling appears to have worked out George (@gblair). It's too bad that Eduard insists on using their own methods of printing decals rather than relying upon another company like Cartograf. I've taken to buying their overtrees kits when possible and supplying whatever decals and aftermarket I might want. It is unlikely that it is ultimately any less expensive, but I do get to choose my own schemes. And as I gain more experience with the Silhouette cutter, I can dispense with more decals.

The Spitfire is looking like a real dandy. Excellent work and a beautiful addition to your collection of kits.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks for the kind words, Spiros (@fiveten) and Carl (@clipper). I was a little surprised when I started having trouble with the decal. It seems that every magazine article I read about Eduard kits talks about how good the decals are. One good thing about the decals is that they were so thick there was no concern about them folding over on themselves. When I build a kit, I almost always replace the decals that come with it. But I specifically bought this kit because the decals were the exact plane I wanted to build. No one makes aftermarket decals for these spotter planes, so I would have to piece the decals together from other sets if I didn't use the kit decals. Not usually a problem, just a pain to do sometimes. Thanks for stopping by. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Good work in the end on that challenging decal session, George @gblair

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb).

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Really nice work here, @gblair. You're headed toward a great result.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Tom (@tcinla). Sort of creeping slowly toward the finish.

• Profile Photo

I finished putting the decals on today. Most of the work was stenciling, but I had to go back and try to eliminate some more bubbles that have popped up in one of the roundels on the upper wing. I am on my third round of pierce each of the bubbles and apply strong setting solution. I plan to let the decals dry for 24 hours before I apply the flat clear to seal everything in. One good thing that came out today was that the invasion stripes on the wing covered all of the stencils, so I got a break on those. Cheers everyone.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent decal job so far, my friend @gblair! I'm sure you will get rid of the annoying bubbles.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Once you get the flat coat on, those decals will look great, George @gblair. Might even look more realistic than you think. That was my experience with the latest Eduard thin decals. I do wish Eduard would find someone else to print their decals. They have enough going on as it is.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Once you get the flat coat on, those decals will look great, George @gblair. Might even look more realistic than you think. That was my experience with the latest Eduard thin decals. I do wish Eduard would find someone else to print their decals. They have enough going on as it is.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Eric (@eb801). I always worry about the decals. They come at the end of the build and there is usually little you can do about it if they won't work well. When I read the story about these Navy Spotters using Spitfires, my plan was to use an Airfix kit that I had, and then cobble the decals together from my decal stash. When I found out Eduard was going to release this kit with the exact decals I needed, I figured it would be a good time to try an Eduard kit for the first time. None of the problems I have had with this kit have been major, and many of them were caused by me, but my first experience with an Eduard kit wasn't all that I expected. I keep saying this and then doing something else, but I want to move on to something simpler for the next build. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Piercing those bubbles is not the way you would like to apply the decals nicely, George @gblair
    Recently had that same issue with my Sabre build, a bit frustrating to be honest.
    I think you get them smoothly soon.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I think it will all work out. Should know soon.

• Profile Photo

I covered the plane with some Tamiya Clear Flat, which I always let dry for 24 hours before I do anything else. Tomorrow I can start adding the last bits and doing a little weathering. I did a quick exam after the clear flat, and it looks like the decals will be OK. Yeah!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Looking excellent after the clear flat, my friend @gblair!