US Navy Spitfire Mk.Vb at D-Day: 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk. Vb Weekend Kit

Started by George R Blair Jr · 224 · 2 months ago · 1/32, D-Day, Hobby Boss, Spitfire Mk Vb, VOS-7
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Hi Eric (@eb801). I have the new Airfix Spitfires, along with the Tamiya Spitfires. My build list is bigger than my capacity to actually build them. I will hopefully get to them all eventually. I didn't know that you could change the title once you started a thread, but it didn't take much effort to discover that you can change the title. Thanks for prodding me into figuring it out. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Think we'll ever get through our build lists and kit stashes before the curtain falls and the lights go dark? George@gblair. Whenever I look at my build stash, I seriously doubt it. I ask myself "How did this happen?"

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months, 1 week ago:

You're not the only one with that worry. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months, 1 week ago:

@gblair - the Eduard p-e is right for any Spitfire V series. If it wasn't, nobody would know anyway.

• Profile Photo

Hi Tom (@tcinla): I figured it would work for the Mk. V. The trick for me is to be sure I have the correct part from the many options available in the kit and then modify the plastic to accept the PE. It requires a certain amount of mental dexterity that isn't necessarily always present for me.

• Profile Photo

Hi Eric (@eb801): When I was flying for the Air Force, I had the good fortune to fly through Japan and Korea at least twice each month. This was in the late 1970s and 1980s when there were a lot of Hasegawa, Tamiya, and Academy floating around for prices that were very low compared to their prices now. Some of the re-released kits that now cost $60-$80 I was getting for less than $10. Flying a cargo plane made it relatively simple to bring a number of kits home on each trip. I would be embarrassed to tell you how many kits I have in my stash, but I still plan to build every one of them. I guess that's the difference between a builder and a collector.

• Profile Photo

I spent the day with my granddaughter, so lots of fun but not much modeling. I have been building a bunch of sub-assemblies that I hope to spray with cockpit color tomorrow. It always seems that the cockpit sub-parts take a lot of time, then everything comes together all at once. We just got side-swiped by a tropical storm that came in from the Gulf, but I should be able to get more done tomorrow. Cheers.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Always great to spend time with the family, my friend @gblair! Still, solid progress! Hope all will be ok with the storm.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

It is always good to be able to spend time with your family, George @gblair
    Cockpits usually take quiet some but it is one of my favorite parts to work on.
    Seems like you are also good in creating balancing structures to dry the parts.
    Which Vallejo color are you using?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I have a bunch of purpose-built things that I could use to support parts when I am painting, but I invariably end up grabbing whatever happens to be sitting on the workbench.

• Profile Photo

Things are moving, but really slowly. The cockpit was spray painted with the various colors, and then I set about doing the detail painting. When that was done, I applied some washes using artist oils. I think the sub-assemblies are finally assembled, and I should be able to start assembling the cockpit. It has really be slow going to add all of the Eduard 3D printed detail for the cockpit, and it has been almost as fiddly as working with PE.

I did make one mistake, but managed to fix it. There is a bulkhead just aft of the seat that has a panel with a slot in it that the seatbelt passes through. There was a PE piece that was available in the Eduard "Look" set that has the panel with the slot. I compared it to the plastic one that came with the kit and I thought they were identical, so I used the plastic version. It wasn't until much later that I noticed that the plastic version did not have an open slot. 10 minutes of work with a small drill bit and then an Exacto opened the slot, so everything is good. Cheers everyone,

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Solid progress, my friend @gblair! Great fixing on the unslotted bulkhead.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Very good progress, George @gblair
    Nice correction on the bulkhead.

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Dear George @gblair, following your build with great interest. I look forward to seeing what your color scheme will look like. As it happens, i am currently building the Airfix Vb (in another futile effort to reduce my stash).

• Profile Photo

Thanks for stopping in, Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and Felix (@fxrob).

The kit had a bulkhead without the slotted piece, and the "Look" set that I got had the panel with an open slot, but I decided it would be easier to use the kit bulkhead with the unslotted panel molded on. But I didn't realize I would need the slot later. Entirely my fault. I am glad I could correct my error.

I originally thought about building either the 1/32 HobbyBoss or the 1/48 Airfix for this build, but finally bought this one because it had the exact decals I needed. I am trying really hard not to buy new kits so that I can kill off some of the stash, but the manufacturers keep bringing out new kits of planes that I want to do.