US Navy Spitfire Mk.Vb at D-Day: 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk. Vb Weekend Kit

Started by George R Blair Jr · 224 · 2 months ago · 1/32, D-Day, Hobby Boss, Spitfire Mk Vb, VOS-7
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months ago:

I have been slowly trudging through all of the sub-assemblies that go into the cockpit, and I now have assembled the sub-assemblies into something resembling a cockpit. I was a little uneasy because several of the bulkheads are glued at a 90 degree angle to the floor, but without any positive way to insure the angle is correct other than "eye-balling" it. After I got everything done it occurred to me that I could have glued the bulkheads onto the floor, then taped the fuselage sides together, along with the cockpit, as a jig to insure the correctness of the bulkheads. These great ideas always occur after it is too late to do anything about it. In any case, everything looks like it will fit OK, and it also looks like I can glue the fuselage together and add the cockpit from below. Hopefully things will move more quickly once I get past the cockpit. Cheers everyone.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months ago:

Interior looks excellent so far, my friend @gblair! Yes, gluing things together, hoping that everything will fit in later on is always a concern.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). I should now today how everything fits.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 3 months ago:

Great progress George!
    It's looking good!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 months ago:

The cockpit and the "weathering" looks terrific, George @gblair. You really "dialed" it in. I would be surprised if you have any fit issues as Eduard cockpits usually fit like a glove with no problemas.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for stopping by, David (@davem).

Hi Eric (@eb801): It looks like a perfect fit. If I had used a little common sense, I could have used the right side as a template to be sure the bulkheads were going in straight. I can do that on the next one.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 months ago:

Looks great George (@gblair). I have several of these Eduard Spitfires to do someday including the one you have. I was somewhat burned by an Airfix Spitfire 1 build back in 2017 and have been reluctant to do another, but seeing yours has me thinking of post Thunderbolt / USS San Francisco!

• Profile Photo

Interesting comment, Carl (@clipper). I did one of the older 1/48 Airfix Spitfires several years ago, before the new molds came out. I had a lot of trouble with it and I think I have an aversion to Spits because of it. This one has been a nice build so far, but really fiddly.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months ago:

That's a fine looking interior, George @gblair
    The results from the artist oils are really nice.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I really like the effects you can get from artist oils and odorless thinner. Just like other techniques, the more you use it, the better you get at it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months ago:

@gblair, what is the secret to apply them and have the best result?

• Profile Photo

Hi, John (@johnb):
    There are several ways to apply artist oils:

1. As a wash: I mix a tiny dab of paint in a small cup along with some Turpenoid, which is an odorless artist paint thinner. Turpenoid dries flat, so it is perfect for models. Oils dry slowly, so you can go over areas for a long time with just a damp brush.
    2. To fade or adjust color of a panel: Put a tiny amount of the oils in the center of the panel, let it dry a few minutes, then blend into the panel using a soft brush slightly damp with Turpenoid. Just brush in the direction of airflow, starting from the top of the panel using very light pressure. You can tape the edges of the adjacent panels to preserve their color.
    3. Dot filter: This simulates uneven panel fading, dirt, etc. Place tiny dots of oils in various colors all over, for instance on a wing. You don't need a lot of paint or a lot of dots. Use various colors randomly. Let it dry for five minutes or so, then lightly drag a soft brush damp with Turpenoid in the direction of air flow. For instance, on olive drab, I might use tan, white, brown, and dark green.
    4. Streaks: Use full strength oil to create a streak where you want it. Use just a tiny bit. Let it dry for 5 minutes, then very lightly drag a brush damp with Turpenoid in the direction of the streak or stain. You can also shape the streak by the way you drag the brush.

I am still learning about how to use oils, but the more I use them the more I like them. You can work the oils for a long time, and if you don't like it, you can usually remove the oils with Turpenoid. All of this assumes that you are applying the oils and Turpenoid over a finish that will not be damaged. I have used them directly over acrylics without problems, and over Tamiya and AK Real Colors. Some lacquers react if you work it too much. Enamels are a no-go. A lot of the articles I have read recommend that you protect the paint surface with clear, but I never have.

Here is a pretty good Youtube video that will get you headed in the right direction:

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months ago:

@gblair - unless you're a klutz (which you are not), you can add the shoulder hrness in position and there is little likelihood of knocking it off. I do that with all my Eduard Spitfire builds. Waiting till the cockpit is installed is the more difficult way.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Tom (@tcinla). I was worried that I might need a lot of massaging to get the cockpit glued into the right half of the fuselage, then I discovered I could glue the fuselage halves together and just slip the cockpit in from below. I could have added the seatbelts at that point, but I forgot. So, back to Plan A. As I get older, I find I have more klutz moments, so I try to make plans to prevent them.

• Profile Photo

Got the fuselage halves glued together and then the cockpit simply slipped in from below. Easy peasy. I wasn't as careful as I needed to be and ended up with a tiny lip along the upper fuselage joint. Entirely my fault. I think a little surfacer will take care of it. It has been a long week, so far, full of non-modeling issues, and I keep waking up at 4 in the morning and can't go back to sleep. So, really tired today and was afraid to try to get too much done for fear of messing something up. If I can get some more sleep tonight, I hope to get more done tomorrow.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.