US Navy Spitfire Mk.Vb at D-Day: 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk. Vb Weekend Kit

Started by George R Blair Jr · 224 · 2 months ago · 1/32, D-Day, Hobby Boss, Spitfire Mk Vb, VOS-7
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

I apologize for not checking in here sooner. It’s been close to a month since I’ve been active on here. Sorry

I’m guessing the two little parts P-40 and P-41 are supposed to capture the elevator once it is installed. I believe that it goes over the rod that connects the two elevator halves together. Then the rudder and PE would go on next.

I think that we all have done this before or something very similar to what you have done with your wheel wells. I’ll take some luck any day !

The modeling Gods were smiling on you.

I am not a big fan of using three or five different parts when one very nice one would work just as well. Makes it a bit “fiddly”.

But in the end the results are looking great. I’m very happy to hear that you are making good progress and I sincerely appreciate your detailed photos and descriptions. They are going to be very helpful in the future for the rest of us that have a kit like this one in their stash and are going to be building it.

Take care my friend and keep it going. I’m looking forward to seeing your next steps.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Looking good, George @gblair. Did you already stick the rudder on? What the instructions are trying to tell you is install the rear elevator into place level with no glue and then, one at a time, glue 40 and 41 so the elevator can move up and down. I glued the two pieces together as one and then installed it. I recall the fit was very tight. Not sure why they think one at a time is better.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Exactly what I was thinking too. I think your description is better than mine.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Hi, Louis (@lgardner) and Eric (@eb801). That's what I was thinking also. It seems obvious that the two small parts hold the elevator in place, but I wasn't sure why they felt the need to tell me that I needed to put them on one at a time. It seems sort of obvious that you would put two parts on the plane one at a time. Perhaps they were afraid that I might glue them to each other, and then over the elevator rod to the plane. I am not sure what harm that would do, but I suppose they have reasons. I have discovered that if you don't follow the instructions carefully that this model will reach out and bite you. I think I am in the midst of one of those situations, but more on that later.

I was thinking today, Louis, that I had not seen you around in any of the usual places on iModeler. I hope everything is going OK. I have had several busy weeks recently and have had trouble finding modeling time, and modeling energy.

• Profile Photo

Semi-catastrophic day today. I assembled the wings yesterday. Today I test fit them to the fuselage. They seemed to fit fairly well, but was tight in the forward wing root area. I carefully sanded a tiny amount of the wing until they fit was good. I glued and taped the wings and fuselage together. When I removed the tape I discovered that the wings had somehow shifted while drying, leaving a huge gap on one side and a mismatch between the wing and the fuselage on the other. I managed to eliminate some of the problem on both sides, but I have resorted to some brute force to try and bring things into alignment. We'll see how it goes. If I can't solve this problem, I may need to take a break and get away from it for a while. More tomorrow.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Such unexplained things happen, my friend @gblair. Looking forward to your improvised jig results!

• Profile Photo

Hi Spiros (@fiveten). I really put a lot of force on the clamps to pull things together. I hope it doesn't turn out like an over-torqued nut and bolt.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

That is even more than a huge gap, its immense, George @gblair
    Hopefully your jig will take care of it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi John (@johnb): You are right. Still can't figure how things went so wrong after I spent a good deal of time test fitting before I glued.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

@gblair
    Mishaps happen to all, don’t let it put you down. Just try to set the pieces apart with minimum damage and redo. Have you used liquid glue? It’s my go glue to such joints, just one minute using nothing but my hands, a bit of force and eye skills usually gives a strong bond and precise fit.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

I’m sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your project. Unfortunately we have things like this happen to us from time to time. I have had my share of this kind of thing too.

I tried out a different method of assembly to help eliminate gaps here at the wing to fuselage joints. I know that you have mentioned this procedure in a previous comment. I simply glue the upper wing to the fuselage joint and then let the glue dry. Once it dries then I will continue with the rest of the assembly and attach the lower wing parts together to the upper.

Lately I have had some good results with this method. I’m sure you have done this before.

I don’t know if you were even able to try it out on this particular model because of how it was designed.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Pedro (@holzhamer)and Louis (@lgardner). Thanks for your comments. For parts that I want to stay stuck, I usually add some dots of glue in several places using Revell Contacta, then go back over the joint with Tamiya liquid glue. Once the glue sets, the pieces are generally stuck for life. Trying to pull them apart will be my last resort, and I'm not quite there yet. I have used the technique where you glue half of the wing to the fuselage, then add the rest later. I have gotten good results with it, but I am not really comfortable with the technique and usually just follow the instructions. I may regret that decision with this kit, however. I am heading up to the workbench in a few minutes to see how much trouble I am in. I have never stopped building a kit, so I want to keep that streak going.

Louis: You might be interested in another project I just started. In addition to my N Scale train layout, I just started another very small HO layout. I am basing it on the tracks and operations that I saw at Fort Bliss. I am planning something during the Cold War. Should be fun.

• Profile Photo

I had a chance to get some work done today, and things certainly look more positive today than they did yesterday. I pulled all the tape and clamps off the model and the wing to fuselage join looks much better. It will still need a touch of acrylic filler, but much better than before.

I completed the steps that add the horizontal stabilizers, the elevators, and the rudder. Everything looks like it aligns with the rest of the plane. I started assembling the various things that attach to the bottom of the wing. I will finish those tomorrow. Took a minute to look at the wingtips. This kit has both regular and clipped wingtips. This particular plane has clipped wings. I have never built a plane with clipped wings, so this will be a new adventure. More tomorrow. Cheers.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great save on the wing root George (@gblair). Always better if you can get the fit right or close to right so that filling can be kept to a minimum. That top down shot really shows off how attractive this aircraft is.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Carl (@clipper). I got lucky this time and I got things back to a workable condition. The Spit is a remarkably attractive airplane.