US Navy Spitfire Mk.Vb at D-Day: 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk. Vb Weekend Kit

Started by George R Blair Jr · 224 · 2 months ago · 1/32, D-Day, Hobby Boss, Spitfire Mk Vb, VOS-7
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

I had a bunch of unexpected things pop up today, not to mention the possibility of a hurricane coming north out of the Gulf of Mexico and possibly passing through Austin with some heavy rain. The hurricane moved east after landfall and missed us, but still not a lot of modeling time today. I spent some time getting the Spit ready for masks and paint. As I was about to mask and seal the canopy, I realized I had forgotten to install the shoulder harness. The harness stretches past the seat into the rear of the aircraft. I was worried it would be vulnerable to damage, so I left it off. After adding the harness, I used one of the 4 extra side doors for the cockpit as a temporary mask for painting. I attached it with white glue so I could remove it after painting. None of the spare canopies, which are all designed to be open, will work as a mask for the cockpit, so I will need to mask it tomorrow. Cheers everyone.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking forward to seeing paint and your rendition of the hand painted invasion stripes George (@gblair)

• Profile Photo

Me, too, Carl (@clipper). It will be an experiment for sure.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

From what I have read, invasion strips were hastily hand painted with rollers and brushes out on the tarmac. Widths and thicknesses were not always straight lined or consistently precise as decals would indicate, George @gblair. In other words, they looked sloppy up close most of the time.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Solid progress and great looks, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Seems ready for the paint session, George @gblair
    Looking forward to this experimental part.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Eric (@eb801), Spiros (@fiveten), and John (@johnb). I hope to paint soon, if I can keep all of these real life things from interfering with my models. I thought being retired was supposed to be less busy than before. The invasion stripes were put on quickly, sometimes with tools like mops or brooms dipped in paint. The photos of these particular planes show fairly neat stripes but not perfect.

• Profile Photo

Got the plane and all the parts ready for paint. I plane to start on the underside of the plane tomorrow. In the meantime, I am doing a little experimentation on the best way to simulate the uneven application of the stripes. I will post some photos of the results tomorrow. I sacrificed one of the unused extra canopies from the kit to act as a paint mask for the cockpit. A lot easier than tape. Thanks Eduard for putting all those extra canopies in the kit. Cheers.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

For those interested in doing "realistic" D-Day stripes, I came up with a process that works easily. Check my post here about doing Bud Anderson's P-51B "Old Crow." Easy-peasy.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking forward to that paint session, George @gblair
    Nice to have extra canopies in the kit which can be used as a mask, much easier than tape indeed.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks, Tom (@tcinla) and John (@johnb). I have never done invasion stripes before, so I am off to visit "Old Crow".

• Profile Photo

Finally got some painting done. I started by taking the landing gear doors and tacking them into place using some white glue. The invasion stripes will eventually go over parts of the gear doors, so I figured I would put them in place now. I started painting by taking the appropriate Tamiya gray paint and adding about 25% white, then thinned with X20. After painting the underside, I sprayed the unlightened paint in a splotchy pattern over the underside. I then added about 20% black to the mix, and highlighted some panels and panel lines. I used a notecard as a moveable mask to get some sharp lines. I plan to let that dry overnight and then attack the camo on the top of the plane. Yeah!

I am somewhat perturbed by the instructions in the Eduard canopy masks that I got for this plane. The diagram of the various mask pieces has been pulled into wavy shapes. I know they do this to prevent someone from copying the diagrams and making their own masks, but it made the task of finding the appropriate piece of masking difficult. This plane has 5 or 6 different canopies, and they provide masks for all of them. In addition, the only masks for this plane that I could find were the ones that had both outside and inside masks, so there was a lot of chance for confusion.

I also did a little experimentation with the invasion stripes. I sprayed the invasion stripes on a sheet of scrap plastic, and then painted one adjacent area brown and the other green. For the first experiment, I tried adding a ragged edge suing a flat brush and some white Model Air. This shows some promise, but I want to try using a piece of sponge or foam to apply the paint. More tomorrow. Cheers.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

A complex set of masks indeed, George @gblair
    Lower surface looks really good, as does the first try on the invasion stripes.
    Looking forward to how the sponge approach will turn out.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Yes, very interesting what goes on with the masks' skew, my friend @gblair.
    Excellent painting results, looking forward to your de-perfecting technique for the invasion lines.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten). The stripes are actually fairly neat in the photos, but there are a few places where they were not quite so neat. I think the trick will be to create the impression of hastily applied paint without going too far.