USN Douglas A-1H Skyraider Tamiya 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 96 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Yes, coming along really nicely Chuck @uscusn! Those resin wheels, among the others, look perfect.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Starting with the cockpit. Finally get some build time in.

The Skyraider cockpit is a typical Tamiya layout. Nice details on the side consoles, not many parts are involved and will build to a decent representation with the parts provided and detail painting. Just the lack of seat belts is the constant on Tamiya interiors. Decal seat belts don't work for me. So I will use the Eduards zoom set to enhance it a bit.

A steel PE plate is attached to the floor of the cockpit.

Next a side panel is placed on the LH inner side of the Left console.

Next the Fuse buss panel is placed on the RH side inner side of the Right console.

The the side console panels are painted semi gloss black

The rear bulk head will be attached to the back of the cockpit floor.

The headrest is painted leather brown,details knobs, switches are picked out with silver and light grey pencil.

Next the control stick is attached to cockpit floor.

Now to work on the seat. Adding the PE belts will really help on a basic ho hum seat.

The seat is then placed into cockpit tub.

Next is to work on the Instrument panel. Again a decal is supplied for the dials and gauges. The details are ok, but do lack any dials, numbers and indicators with in each gauge.

So after sanding off the details and now ready to install the PE bits to really enhance the IP.

First the lower set of gauges and dials are installed.

Next is to attach the gauge and dial panel and place over the rest of the IP with Cyno and let set for an hour.

After an hour, first a bit of Testors clear cement is placed on the gauge panel. Then the gauge cover is placed over the top and let set again, for an hour.

When the Testers dries it is clear like glass lenses in the IP. And the installed to the cockpit tub.

Thats it for the cockpit. Next to work on the fuselage halves and install the cockpit.

more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Cheers Chuck @uscusn!
    You did a fantastic job so far. I loved all the detailed photo presentation, too; I felt I participated at the build.
    Eagerly waiting for your next installment.
    All the best, sir.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, though I know this kit has been built by so many over the years, most of the builds and reviews today are on kits that have recently been produced. And yes there has been reviews on this kit and how it builds as it is quite excellent in s many ways. It's relaxing when building and showing the progress as the kit gets together step by step.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Looks awesome, Chuck. I am currently building an ESCI Skyraider I had on the shelf. As you might guess, the interior of mine is significantly more simple. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo

Hi George, the ESCI kit, I believe has been reboxed under the Italeri label. That was the thing with ESCI back in the day hit or miss on their kits. Late 70's they did produce some kits no one else did in 48th scale, like the Kfir, Mirage F1 which were ok, but as noted cockpit details were lacking. But did some awful ones too, the A-10 comes to mind. But regardless their Skyraider is ok in shape. I would build it, just get some AM stuff to help interior.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Next step is to add the detail bits on the inner fuselage cockpit side consoles. And then install the cockpit tub.

The PE bits are attached to each side of the cockpit side walls.

Next the tail wheel well already pre painted gloss white is placed into the RH side of the fuselage and test fit for alignment to center.

Next up is to place the cockpit tub in place into the RH side fuselage half. Align and set.

Next to attach the RH fuselage half in place, cement and seal.

Next up is work on the engine and cowling. Going together very well.

more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Great progress Chuck! That's right about where mine sits, and now I'm thinking it ought to be finished...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Nice progress Chuck! Thanks for sharing!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Closing up is always a milestone. I like the cockpit wit the AM parts.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Andrew, I hope to inspire anyone working on a Skyraider, no matter the scale or who's kit it is (ESCI,Monogram,) and have fun building it.
    Thanks Spiros as always encouraging.
    Eric, so correct, seems like once the interior is in and the fuselage is closed it starts to progress a little quicker.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Erik is right...closing up the cockpit in the fuselage is always a milestone. Looking great. I just finished and posted my ESCI Skyraider. Not nearly as detailed as Tamiya, but looks cool in the blue paint scheme.

• Profile Photo

Yes George, and a good one at that. That's the decal set I used to build my Monogram Skyraider in GSB. I used the tail code "V" scheme off that sheet. That was about 5 years ago. I have it posted on imodeler somewhere around that time. I have 3 more in the stash, 2 more Hasegawa kits in 72nd scale and the other Tam kit in USAF livery in 48th.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Chuck, I've had my Skyraider out on the bench whilst I went to town with my radial engine factory (numerous kits needing their Cyclones and Hornets painted, easier to do them all at once as you understand!) and I've got it to the point where all horizontal stabs are fixed... I'm curious [because I can't quite make the decision myself] what your thoughts are on having the dive brakes opened..? Part of me says if a manufacturer offers feature like this on a kit (and executes them well), then show them off... however, it still looks great with them retracted, and maintenance aside, the only other time the brakes would be deployed would be for exhibition... thoughts?

• Profile Photo

I was in the mind set to at least display the side dive brakes open as I have on other models that allows for that as the other Skyraider kits (except Zuike Moura) don't give you that option. But for this build I will display them closed. The dive brake wells on the Tam kit are well done as well as the provided interior panels for the dive brake doors. I will drop the flaps. And I was considering a wing fold set as well. That is still under consideration. I have already picked up a bit AM stuff to enhance an already very good kit. A set of resin wheels and just picked up a set of gun barrels to replace the plastic ones. Really I do like to display those panels open, it kind a gives a busy look which I like, as most of these at times are all closed up. I may change my mind and pop the dive brakes...more to ponder...