Vietnam Super Sabre

Started by Carl Smoot · 19 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

A lot of work done, Carl @clipper
    Progressing nicely.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

I can't imagine how long it takes to remove all of that filler, Carl (@clipper). The red dots look cool.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

George (@gblair), actually sanding isn't too bad. The bondo sands quite easily especially when done wet. I am using 400 grit initially to remove the bondo, keeping a light touch. After I clean out the panel lines and anywhere else I need to, I will smooth sand with 1000, 2000, and 3000 grit paper.

If I were doing a natural metal bird, I would have probably done it differently, but this will be an SEA camouflaged and heavily weathered Thud. I have been looking forward to doing this diorama for several years and I have most of what I need now to do it including a couple of Vietnam era ground support crew and equipment. Probably the large part of the diorama (other than the tarmac) will be the revetment wall.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks for the info, Carl (@clipper). I am looking forward to seeing how this all works in the end. This looks like one of those wax on, wax off situations, like in the Karate Kid. I built a revetment diorama once and I was amazed at how much work it took to build the revetment.