Werner Mölders' Bf109D-1, Legion Condor, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 97 · 1 year ago · 1/48, 109D-1, airbum, AMG, Bf109, Dora, Haldværk, Legion Condor, Messerschmitt, mölders
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Transferred from the “Messerschmitt Bf 109 Werke”

As the colors for this one has been decided, it now gets its own topic here

I started this one together with two others over in the 109werke, heavily inspired by Klavs’ build of a nightfighter. The markings will be those of 6•79 as flown by Werner Mölders in Spain.

The decals may come from a Modelsvit kit, the original AMG, or be painted with the aid of homemade masks.

To start with, the AMG kits does include quite an extensive PE sheet, and depending on your patience the level of detail can be quite high.

I also included some Eduard parts, taken from the Emil kit I slaughtered to make Mölders F-1! I think it is quite fair to use those, right?

The seat is quite detailed too, and actually has to be assembled from very small plastic parts!

Some very small PE parts can be added later on! Sadly a lot of all that beautiful detail will be hidden.

Speaking of small parts – how do you like the handle on the grip?

That is gonna be a real treat for the carpetmonster!

With all the detail AMG offers in the cockpit, their pedals are a real letdown!

Once again some spares from the Mölders F-1 are used.

Be aware that this is a build that was started in another topic, and to get the full picture you may want to visit that one too. The build will continue with more on the cockpit next time – stay tuned.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    This is going to be a good build to watch. It has a lot going for it... to begin with, it is an early 109, and top it off as a Legion Condor machine that was flown by Molders. It doesn't get much better than that. Yes this is a good use of the leftover parts from the F-1 Molders plane... I agree the rudder pedals are a little bit blah... but chances are they will not be too visible once it's all said and done. Something tells me you will be making additions to them, making it look much better.

Maybe you could edit your original post here to include a link to the 'Kindergarten" where these planes started ? It might make it an easier read for others who may not be up to speed on the magnificent work you have been doing so far.

Just a thought, not criticism.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Indeed some tiny parts to be handled with care, Erik.
    Looking forward to the continuation of this 109.
    And those pedals do look 'differently'.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Another beloved evolution of the 109 Werke, my friend @airbum!
    Love the scheme chosen, as well as the nice detailing that will be implemented in the build.
    I agree about the pedals, but they will be quite unvisible...

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the comments gentlemen.

Louis (@lgardner), I shall make a link to the "kindergarten", even though it is getting a bit longish.

Jihn (@JohnB), a rather strange day today, as I alternate between cutting down trees and installing supersmall PE parts. I hope that I do remember not to use the saw on the build 🙂

Spiros (@fiveten), it all depends - open or vacform canopy may make them very visible - at least it will be noticeable that they are full of holes as opposed to the completely flat ones in the kit - I think 😉

• Profile Photo

For the original start on this build, do pay my 109werke a visit;

https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/messerschmitt-bf-109-werke/

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Erik, about those rudder pedals from the box, to me they are not that bad. Their shape seems accurate for the pedal design used up to the E variant. They may be a little thick, but again like Louis mentioned, perhaps that won’t be noticeable once the fuselage is done. The only thing missing are some straps perhaps.
    As usual, I’m looking forward to see how this Dora turns out

• Profile Photo

Thanks Pedro (@holzhamer). The pedals in the picture are from the Eduard kit, and very nice indeed. The AMG ones are plain flat, no holes, but at least they are the right shape, so not all that bad. Actually the pedals I used are from an Emil, and indeed they are the same up till that version, being replaced by a design that was standardised in all Luftwaffe planes, no matter who made the plane. Right now I am CA'ing very small PE parts, an update may be posted later today.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Perfect - I can get a tutorial on building the D I just received yesterday!

• Profile Photo

Indeed you can Greg (@gkittinger) - but be aware I just follow the instructions (well - more or less anyway)

• Profile Photo

More details in the office

Having been on/off this one all day, I did get a few bits done

A lot of small PE parts to mount – and not one single casualty or loss to the carpetmonster!

That may be a first?

The seat got installed, PE belts added

And the donated pedals got a bit of wear drybrushed

On the other side the PE details were added along with the Eduard Dräger breathing bladder

I started to get a bit worn out, so I have stopped before I make a mess, and will come back and repair all the detailpainting tomorrow.

Just some minor details for tomorrow, and then it is off to the airbrush that has been soaking in thinner for a while to clean out some acrylic residue – not to paint this build, but a few others that has been lined up for a few days

• Profile Photo

Very fine looking office you have created, Erik.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Nice office indeed, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

Panel!

The Instrumentpanel has come from the sub-contractors

And they did a darn good job too!

Just look at that close-up! Itches to turn the knobs to check if they really work. . .

Any angle you choose, they are just amazing

I did not quite catch it with the flash and all, but of course the glass is there too – and smooth like nothing I’ve ever seen before.

The biggest problem here is that I have to go back, put on some extrastrong glasses and get that office spiced up big time to follow the quality of the IP – it is Yahu by the way. NOT the last time I will be using their products.

• Profile Photo

Very realistic instrument panel it is, Erik.
    So refined that they look like real instruments.
    Fitting is great as well.