Werner Mölders' Bf109D-1, Legion Condor, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 97 · 1 year ago · 1/48, 109D-1, airbum, AMG, Bf109, Dora, Haldværk, Legion Condor, Messerschmitt, mölders
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Great work done, Erik @airbum
    I'm always scared that sanding afterwards does more harm than good.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@johnb, @j-healy, @gblair and @fiveten, finally some news on this one.

Turning final

I got it decalled and it had a coat of semi-matt together with a few other 109’s

Here it is freshly surfaced

actually looking like it could be finished one day

and today I got a few bits added

and now for some detail-paint

next up it will be one step closer to the displaycabinet

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Getting closer to the finish line, my friend @airbum!
    And looking absolutely superb!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Erik @airbum - I've been off the grid for awhile and caught up with your build. I see what you mean about that prop spinner but like you said, could be way worse. Your Condor 109 is looking really terrific. Great markings!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Looks great, Erik (@airbum). I really like the Spanish markings.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Indeed great looking, Erik @airbum
    Nearly there.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thanks @j-healy, @fiveten, @eb801, @gblair and @johnb. Minor update is here.

Closer

but not quite there yet

Exhaust area painted with AK Oily steel, exhausts with gun metal

undercarriage doors painted and ready

as is the rudder

needs some varnish, and the prop needs paint. Unfortunately my Molotow pens seem to have lost their effect, so have to look elsewhere (or get them to work – or get some replacemetnts)

The undercarriage nearly done.

Wheels are from an Eduard kit, looking a lot better than the ones in the kit I think.

next up – well, as things are, perhaps a few more updates with small jobs done – or it is finished? Tune back in to check!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

These are all great steps, my friend @airbum! I can see this beauty gradually approaching the finish line!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looks great, Erik (@airbum), and getting close to the end. Are AMG and Dora Wings the same company? The parts design on my 109A look the same as your D.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Very nice work done, Erik @airbum. A few small jobs usually turn out to be more work than expected.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys - just a little bit of info on the 109A - D question by George; Over in my 109werke topic I did make a comparison og the AMG, Dora Wings and Modelsvit boxings. They are all the same base kit, but with a few differences, the Dora Wings being my preferred option actually. If you want the full story go back to the messerschmitt bf 109 werke,starting at the end of page two; https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/messerschmitt-bf-109-werke/?topic_page=2&num=15

There you will find some info if you want to check them out all 3 of them @gblair.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    Your Molders 109 is really looking good, and by the looks of things you don't have much more left to go on it and it's done. I'm very impressed with the Eduard tires... I mean you can actually read the name of the tire manufacturer... If you look close enough can you make out the tire size ? 😉

I have a Molotow pen that has dried up too. I found a source to refill it, but I'm seriously considering using the refill for my air brush, so I can spray it on some 1/48 scale Monogram American bomber parts soon. (Parts that are too hard to cover with foil.)

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, you actually can read the size. Nice quality that is way beyond the original vinyl ones!

My Molotows are not dried up, but they fail to give the expected chrome finish - it's like the particles that make the extremely nice finish have all been used up? I do indeed have a refill too @lgardner, and guess what - it is located in my spray booth 🙂

I still have to get moving on the use of it in the airbrush, so please share any experience with it. I heard that IPA might be useful as a thinner? I will have to get going and paint the propeller on this one, so either molotow, or the easy solution of using AK extreme metal aluminium. Time will tell if I am able to build up the courage.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    Yes sir, these tires you used on this Molders' 109 are indeed outstanding !

As far as using the Molotow refill in your air brush: I can not take credit for the idea. My friend Josh Patterson is the first one to do this that I know of. He has also made a posting about doing it right here on Imodeler several years ago. Josh is s great man and he has built a science fiction figure and then sprayed the entire figure using the Molotow chrome.

He said it was best to let it dry for a long while after spraying, for at least a week prior to touching it. I don't know if it would be OK to use tape on it afterwards either. This is still in the "experimental" phase and not much is known about it. The chrome surface could be delicate, I am not sure.

As far as reducing / thinning it for spraying, Josh said that he was able to shoot it from his air brush without thinning it at all. It could also depend on the air brush you are using and also the size of the spray tip installed in it. The smaller the needle / nozzle the thinner the paint has to be in order to spray it on smoothly.

Maybe working together we can figure it out completely. I'm not sure about what to use exclusively for thinner. I have some 90% rubbing alcohol, the kind you use for medical supplies, and then I also have some MR Paint Leveling thinner, (the stuff made from unicorn tears)... I will likely try using it first.

What are your thoughts ? I have a set of 4 Monogram B-29 engine cowlings and a few B-24 parts that are patiently waiting for me to try the Molotow refill on them.

I will cut and paste this reply to your other posting so that others may see it easier, just in case someone else has had any experience with this.

I can start a new build journal for the B-29 in our Korean War group. There I can show how the engine cowlings are done / turn out using these methods.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @johnb, @gblair, @lgardner and @eb801, just a minor update this time.

More paint.

with the airbrush loaded with 65, some small details got some paint.

namely the mass-balances, pitot and cooler flap

I did not mask the parts, but just held some paper to fend off the stray particles. Worked more or less well, but I should have given it a bit more paint here and there.

I have airbrushed the prop with Molotow, and it went rather well.

now it will need the spinner painted in 63.

Not the end of the world that the 65 did not fully cover the parts – I am certain that I will need to paint another 109 soon?