XA2D-1 Skyshark ClearProp, 1:48

Started by Martin Dytrych · 68 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Martin, sorry to hear of the complications. On the note of the rudder, all three pics on the first page of the thread show the rudder going all the way to the top of the vertical stab? What reference shows otherwise?

Also of note, those reference pictures do not depict the same exact aircraft of this kit (though nearly). Note the canopy glass shape, and the "spoiler" around the turbine outlet.

This link shows a/c 122988, which would be slightly more suitable target to model, given the kit's plastic. The biggest difference is yet the turbine outlet and arrestor, but it was blue.. 🙂

Douglas A2D-1 Skyshark
    In the end whatever you choose, I recognize it's your kit, and it will look fantastic no matter what! 😀 Clear Prop will soon release the kit with includes canopy for the "production" A2-D, which your first page ref photos show.
  • Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Andrew, thanks for the link. I promise I will read it despite it is long article 🙂

It is true that this build is a bit off my main focus, but it is really nice and interesting piece of engineering and it is still Navy topic.

I would like to post the picture, which is my reference to what I am building. I hope it will explain the situation. This is the only picture I was able to get. I cannot say the difference in engines section or equipment, but it shows the most accurate what is in the box. I must say - there is no other picture of the airplanes which is marked as scheme 4 in the box.

All pictures show something different. I think personally that kit developers overlooked some changes on the airplane and also the most famous one is not without an error.

I admit, it is difficult topic to track all these changes, I decided to build this - at least the picture is good quality 🙂

In case you have any other reference, they would be more than welcome.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 2 years, 11 months ago:

After the reading the article, if I am not wrong it looks I am trying to build 2nd prototype as it was in 1950, right?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Sorry to hear you had the problems you did. This is why, when I review these Ukrainian kits, I keep stressing "test fit many times before gluing once and take your time and care when you commit to glue." As you discovered, the slightest ham-handedness with these kits sets off disasters that grow like a snowball rolling downhill. And I learned my mantra the hard way, as have you. When the kit is "high-end" in CAD design and "low end" in limited-run production, the opportunity for MID (Modeler-Induced Disaster) is high high high.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Yes, that's what you are doing, @naviatik. Looks like they expected the majority of modelers would go for the later pre-production airframes.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Martyn, you clearly master this linited run nature kit very well, pressing on with solutions for all the challenges.

Your cockpit just looks so very real, and the exhausts are bang-on what we see out in the real world. Can not wait to see your next steps - well done @naviatik!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I am glad you are trailblazing on this kit, Martyn (@naviatik). I just got this kit in the mail and it is good to know the hazards to watch for.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 10 months ago:

this is looking sweet!

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 2 years, 10 months ago:

There will be almost no weathering on Skyshark, therefore this look is more or less final.

Since the last post i made just few touches like new guns and pitot tubes from brass tubes or put photoetched part to wingfolds plus I finished all other parts.

I decided to not put any fuel tank.

The basic color is ANA606 by Mr.Paint - I expected more glossy look, but the color was still semi-gloss after application. I had to polish it with Tamiya compound before the surface modulation.

I am nor sure if it is on purpose or wrong air pressure or what. Surfacer was polished, so... nevermind.

Modulation is ANA606 + few drops of Hellblau (German light blue).

I hope it is not too much, my experience is telling me that some contrast will be lost after applying wash and varnish layers. Anyway, it looks good to me, it is compromise between real and cool.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking great and very realistic, Martin!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great progress, Martin.
    Incredible how big this fuselage is.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Yeah! It looks like a big waste of space for just one-seat fighter 😀

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

This will look very impressive when it is done, Martin (@naviatik). Decals on the dark blue will really make this a stand-out.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Decaling done!
    It was not that fun as I expected. Although decals are made in top notch printing quality and the film is almost perfect in term of thickness and transparency, decals did react poorly to solutions I used (Mr. Mark Softer or Hypersol - I achieved better results with Mr. Mark Softer).
    In the end, I had to pierce each rivet anyway...
    As next step, I am washing it and put some less glossy coat - still not sure how much glossy it should be as finish. I would prefer something little bit more than semi-gloss.
    Any suggestion is welcome.

P.S.
    When putting decals I noted bad position of top step in front of fuselage. It is too much forward and it is well visible when you check photo.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looks like you've got another triumph of talent and skill against plastic on your hands, @naviatik.