AMT 1965 Cobra

Started by Cricket · 17 · 3 months ago · 1965 Carroll Shelby Cobra, AMT, Ertl
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

@jagmkx @eb801 @j-healy @faraomike @pb_legend @airbum @ssgt @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @coondog @billkoppos @atjoe @impisi @dion-dunn @chrisballard @jdtruby @clipper @de4ever

While I wait for the weather to cooperate so i can airbrush parts on this
    https://imodeler.com/groups/motorcycles-854753595/forum/topic/kawasaki-ninja-h2r-1-12th/?topic_page=7&num=15#post-102

I started this.

A friend has a kit car of it and had a blue diecast, ask if I could take it apart and paint it. I tried but it wasn't the best diecast so i told him I would buy the AMT one and built it for him.

Been awhile since I have built a car and I always liked to wire the distributor, so i did on the one too :). ]pic5]

It was a lousy kit but having said that I am the poster child for Tamiya kits 🙂

The weather was warm enough n to step outside and use rattle cans today. I spent a couple hours last night flinging off the mold lines on the fenders…UGH 🙁 then wet sanded it with 2500 grit paper this morning and primed it….it looked good so I painted the red, then the hood, trunk, etc etc. then I thought what the heck things were going good so I taped it off and did the racing stripes

Did the trunk and one thing led to another and I ended up obsessing over it and finished it. Don’t have completed pics will shoot them tomorrow. I think he wil like it :). First time I ever built a model for someone….good thing too cuz I got no room for it ;0

Enjoy….supposed to be in the 50’s tomorrow then plunge into the 20’s for Monday with wind tomorrow and possible snow the weekend. Ahhh life in the midsouth 🙂

9 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Truby said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looks really slick. Great job on this Shelby Cobra.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Wow! Done already and looking amazing, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

When I lived up in the Hollywood Hills, I had a neighbor who had an original Shelby Cobra. A couple times we went out and ran Mulholland Drive from the 405 to the 101 freeways, a nice twisty-turney 2 lane road; he even let me drive it one direction - the slowest run made! - I wasn't going down in the record books as the guy who put the thing over the side on a steep slope!

That model looks highly realistic.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking great, Cricket @bikequeen, Carroll himself would be impressed, especially as you finished it so quickly, lucky you had a break in the weather.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

A fantastic result on this Shelby, Cricket @bikequeen
    Excellent paintwork.

• Profile Photo

@jdtruby @johnb @chinesegeorge @tcinla thanks everyone, it was a junk kit but like i said I’m spoiled on Tamiya 🙂

Tom @tcinla thats sounds like a fun ride but I wouldn’t have been able to restrain myself 🙂

Completed pics coming

• Profile Photo

@jagmkx @eb801 @j-healy @faraomike @pb_legend @airbum @ssgt @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @coondog @billkoppos @atjoe @impisi @dion-dunn @chrisballard @jdtruby @clipper

Cobra done and on to its forever home :). In no special order her are the pics including it’s new owner. There are several spots messed up on it, I should have stopped last night but I kept pushing. There were useless located pins for the windscreeen so it slid on the body leavening a glue mark that is unfixable but he didn’t mind

12 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Well done, my friend @bikequeen! Super result!

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice @bikequeen. Those bigger kits are fun.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

@bikequeen - Nice work Cricket! Very clean finish. Great engine detailing as well.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @coodog @brithebuilder thanks guys, the camera angles hide the bad spots ;). But I’m happy with it and so is my friend 🙂

Now I have to try and paint the fuel tank on my Kawasaki Ninja as it will be upper 50’s today and all hell breaks loose tonight through Tuesday 🙁

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

This one came out really nice, Cricket (@bikequeen). Especially cool because it went to a friend. I didn't know there was a 1/16 scale Cobra out there. I just got a large-scale kit of the first car I every bought (used, for $250), a 1955 Chevy Bel Air two-door. I my heart, I always wanted a Cobra, but my mind kept telling me it was never going to happen. Darn it, my mind was right.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

The new owner seems to be very pleased with this beautiful Cobra, Cricket @bikequeen
    To me you did a great job.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great result Cricket (@bikequeen). A happy new owner is also good news.