Leopard Camo – Yellow 6 BF109 JG 27

  • 32 posts
  • Last reply 9 months, 1 week ago
Viewing 16 - 30 of 32 posts
  • Paul Barber said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

    Thank you Louis, it is as done as it’s going to be now. I will close up the cockpit by joining the fuselage halves and see what is still visible! Here are some detail shots of the photo-etch style cockpit. I have to admit to losing a couple of parts and replacing them from old photo-etch sprues in the spares box. But this is as close to the Eduard instructions as I could manage!

    4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Louis Gardner said 11 months, 1 week ago:

    If I didn’t know better I would have thought this was a much larger 1/32 or even 1/24 scale ‘109 build, judging by how the details in the “office” turned out……………….Thanks for the updates my friend.

  • Paul Barber said 10 months, 1 week ago:

    Some progress – the etch experiment continues. The office is in the fuse now – some armour plating added. Some butchery on the wings and a brass hatch added too. It’ll be interesting to see how it looks with a coat of primer and paint. As ever close up photography not very forgiving – it shows up the bits I need to fix!

    7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Allan J Withers said 10 months, 1 week ago:

    Looking good so far Paul.

  • Ferry Dierckxsens said 10 months, 1 week ago:

    Fantastic work and amazing detail Paul. Cockpit is looking super!

  • Jeff Bailey said 10 months, 1 week ago:

    I’m with Louis; this looks like a much larger scale with all the details added!

    Beautiful work, Paul!

  • Greg Kittinger said 10 months, 1 week ago:

    Beautiful detail – looking fantastic!

  • Paul Barber said 10 months ago:

    Some priming and painting done today – Christmas Holiday beginning to ‘ease up’ a little, so getting more done!

    Tried a new primer – and a new technique – Vallejo surface primer – aqueous based acrylic-polyurethane primer 74.602. I like it a lot.

    Some advantages were that it is very much self levelling; it goes into the airbrush straight out of the bottle; it goes on smoothly; there are no nasty fumes; and it cleans up very well. I found it also primed photo etch parts well.

    Once the primer dried I went onto Hellblau (Vallejo air) straight out of the bottle – and used the black primer underneath it to show up panel lines and make some pre-shaded effects.

    I also continued with the extensive photo etch experiment – here is a wheel with etch – still some tyre painting to do.

    Hopefully this one makes it over the line before 2018!

  • Louis Gardner said 10 months ago:

    I noticed that our LHS started carrying those paints you mentioned. I have been afraid to try acrylics on too many builds as I have had problems in the past with adhesion. I have had tape pull up the paint making a mess of things. But this very well could have been my error.

    Your 109 looks very nice, and the PE bits look great. I have a few in the works that I’m trying to get done before the New Year too.

    You can do it !!!!

    Merry Christmas my friend…………….. and thanks for the updates on this gorgeous 109………….

  • Paul Barber said 10 months ago:

    Thank you Louis – I build so slowly things get a really long time to ‘cure’! I haven’t had too much problem with airbrush ready paints from Vallejo. My issue has been with building enough experience to know which paints work best with which thinners – so these pre-thinned colours are much easier options for me.

    Anyway, enough of all that, thank you for a great year in group builds and of course way beyond that – all the best to you and yours – have a great Christmas!

  • Paul Barber said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    A little more progress – still in the hunt for a 2017 finish. Some leopard camo taking shape on the 109 now – and some detail painting taking place. The RLM 79 was painted using Vallejo Air – and then slightly highlighted using the Vallejo Panzer series – Africa Corps ‘highlight’ and flesh(!) highlight! Still a little rough around the edges – but getting there!

    4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Louis Gardner said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Looks great Paul. You’re on the home stretch now !!! You can get it done before the New Year arrives. Well done Sir !!!

  • Paul Barber said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Thanks Louis – and yes I made it! New Year comes early in Australia, in terms of planet earth – so I had about 12 hours to spare!

    I prefer my builds to have a bit of a story – so I changed to yellow 6 – more when the reveal is upon us.

    Anyway – finished with pastel chalks, Tamiya panel line washes, some dust and and a little oil.

    The jury is still out for me on photo-etch. Some I love, some frustrates me still!

    Now for a desert wildcat/martlet….

    One photo for now – more at the reveal!

  • Louis Gardner said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Beautiful work my friend !!! Love it !!!! and with 12 hours to spare ………

    I’m looking forward to seeing your Martlet ………

    Happy New Year buddy.

  • Tom Bebout said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    That’s a really good looking 109 Paul. Worth the effort I say.

Viewing 16 - 30 of 32 posts