Fw 190A-8 II./JG 301 1945
After seeing so many excellent models on this site, I have decided to add a few of my own humble efforts to this site. In the last decade kit makers have been redoing my favorite aircraft in larger scales so when Hasegawa released their 1/32nd Fw 190A-8 I dropped everything else on the bench and dove right in (so to speak…..).
The kit is built pretty much SOB, with Eduard harness and presented no problems. For me the fun begins with the research of color schemes, and for the 190 the possibilities are endless! I found a color picture of a forlorn bird at another captured airfeild at the end of WWII, and I also had just purchased the Cutting Edge Colortech#1 Focke Wulf 190A/F/G part 1 pamphlet, with some outstanding color profiles from Tom Tullis, and EagleCals sheet EC#8 which included a slightly different depiction of the same a/c, again by Tom Tullis…..which one was correct?
So I put all 3 depictions together and made a few assumptions. a) the a/c in the pic was repaired in the field, with a new power egg with a different color scheme, b) likely had some parts replaced in the field, and c) likely used some field-mixed colors for major components. This bird also looks to me like it was disabled with a granade to the cockpit (note the parts hanging down from under the plane and the windscreen looks blackened around the edges, but again, old pics are always subject one’s own interpretation…..) so there is no way of knowing what type of canopy was used or if the spinner had the spiral.
So knowning that the last days of the Luftwaffe was completely chaotic, I went with the color scheme from the decal sheet, as follows:
Wings, fuse center section and horizontal tail undersurface: RLM 76
Fuse sides: a mix of RLM 76 and RLM 02 which yielded that creamy color that seemed to match FS33578, mottled heavily with RLM 81
Upper wing and horiz tailplane: RLM 81 and RLM 70
Power egg: dull aluminum underside, and a mottled mix of RLM 82 and RLM 81, with a RLM 75 gun trough, and RLM 74 gun cover
Landing gear covers: dull aluminum
Rudder: a mix of RLM 76 and 74 gave me a pretty close match to the photo
I decided to use a black and white spiraled spinner and went with the standard canopy.
In the end I got what I was looking for; an example of the state of the Jadgwaffe at the end, piecing together whatever would fly to slow the inevitable defeat, and a fun exercise in building and painting! Thanx for letting me share this with you all!
7 additional images. Click to enlarge.