January 27, 2015 in Aviation
RF-84F-46-RE 53-7654 Luftwaffe EB-368 with AG 52. Commenced with Fonderie 48th RF-84F (repop of Heller kit) of which kit not much remains.
Any modeler that has inspected the Heller/Fonderie kit is will aware that it is rather bare of details plus has raised panel lines. I wanted to add an RF to my Thunder collection. As it is the only 48th kit of the RF available, and a bare-bones FTB build would not do, my kitbashing gene reared its compulsive head. Fortunately, I have Harold and AMS Resin nearby.
For the external bits, I replaced the cockpit and spine by patching in those parts from a Monogram F-84F kit. As all RFs were “long tail” and the kit tail is too short, I patched in bits from the Monogram kit to model the long tail. I removed all panel lines and lightly scribed them. In general, that took care of the exterior.
The interior details are either deficient or not present. The deficient parts are the nose gear well, the entire cockpit, the main gear wells, the tailpipe, all landing gear, the speed brakes, the spoilers, and the wing fences. The missing parts are the cameras and the intake runners. The nose gear well, the entire cockpit, and the tailpipe masters were commenced by Harold, and the resulting cast parts somehow fell to hand.
On my end, I created the basic masters, later detailed out by Harold, for the intake runners using RenShape; Harold cast those parts for me, and he also added them to his RF-84F upgrade set. The spoilers from an F-84F PE set proved to fit incorrectly, so I created the vector graphics for the spoilers and wing fences and sent them off and had 35 photo-etched sets produced by a commercial shop. I scratch built the cameras and bay using RenShap, tubing, and plastic stock. Monogram landing gear and wheels replaced the kit parts. Harold’s resin auxiliary tanks replaced the kit tanks.
National insignia came from a generic Luftwaffe decal sheet. I created the other decal graphics, including the WaSLw 50 badge using PhotoShop and printed them with an Epson ink jet on clear or white decal sheets. All paint is Testors Enamels.
The incorrect main gear wells were replaced with parts from an F-84F resin set
16 additional images. Click to enlarge