iModeler

Spitfire PR Mk.XI, Attack Squadron 1/72 (9 posts)

  • In some of my builds I’ve used additional resin parts by Attack Squadron, and I was really pleasured with the quality of their products. In mid October Attack Squadron released its final farewell letter – they are moving to short-run styrene models, completely discarding all resin products. But their kits are still present on the market, so I’ve bought this unusual Spitfire PR Mk.XI and will try to build my second resin model (first one was also from Attack Squadron).

    As you can see, model divided into parts in unusual way, so, that’s doubled my interest. I’ve started from main part – wings and part of fuselage. Resin quality is good, but needs some sanding with water to achieve smooth surface. I’ll continue my work on the cockpit and photo cameras.

    5 attached images. Click to enlarge

    Tags: 1/72, resin, Spitfire, WIP

  • Some updates. I’ve removed “sprues” on the tail part of fuselage. Fit between middle and tail parts are quite good, but still it needs some small adjustments. Also, I’ve drilled bottom camera windows. Later I’ll put clear plastic rods into it.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • Working with tail part and interior. Photo cameras part fits really well into the tail fuselage part, along with radio equipment. No glue at the moment. Also, started working on a cockpit – the main question right now is how to paint it and assemble and at what order.

    7 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • This is looking very nice! The parts layout for the fuselage seems a bit odd but I have no doubt you will get it together just fine. 🙂 Thanks for sharing your work. What do you think of the casting quality of the resin?

  • Nice work Dmitry, I always wondered about resin kits and whether they were worth the effort. Will watch this with interest – looking good so far!

  • @lee_fogel Thanks, Lee! Regarding quality, compared to other resin kits that I’ve seen – strong 4 of 5. The main problem is that surface not as smooth as it should be, but no problems with panel lines and other small details, like rivets.

    @davem Thanks, David! It’s also a very interesting build for me – have no idea, what will be at the end!

    And now some updates. Build requires to choose painting scheme right now, so it will be variant F – Spitfire of 681 RAF Squadron, Kuala Lumpur, 1945.

    Canopy should be opened, so I’ve removed cockpit door on a port side, but not so accurate – you can see a piece of styrene there now.

    Next was engine cowling.

    While fit with the central part of fuselage was ok, it was not ok with the bottom part of cowling. Boiled water and some pressure fixed this issue.

    After installing radiator intake there were some rounds of filling and sanding, nothing special. Maybe, there will be something to fix after priming.

  • Thank you @starfar for the thoughts on the resin quality. Love that you opened the cockpit door! That’s a nice touch. Thank you also for sharing the decal options…I’m going to have to replicate option B as that is just very interesting. Keep up the terrific work on this build.

  • It’s time to post some updates. I’ve made bottom photo cameras windows with a clear sprue – it was glued into the hole and then sanded and polished to be clear again.

    Interior was painted with AKAN BS283 acrylic paint (base color). I’ve applied only washes (custom made of oils) and a dry brush. In any case, Spitfires cockpit is so small in 72 scale, that mainly everything will be hidden from a view. Despite that unusual parts layout, painting went without any issues. But you need to paint and assemble simultaneously.

    After this, I’ve glued fuselage parts together.

  • Moving closer to paint works. Mostly everything is installed, and I need to review again all the panel lines and other small things before priming.

    Also, you can see a tool for propeller which saved me a lot of mental health.