Su-27UB

Started by Richard Mcstay · 41 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hi folks. I put it to a vote in my last article on my next build, and the public have spoken! The Flanker beat the Ferrari by 7 votes to 4! So as promised, I will be doing a work in progress report as I go.

The kit is the 1/48 Eduard limited edition. It was originally the Academy kit, but Eduard have included all manners of aftermarket goodies.

You get the choice of four different aircraft markings in the instructions. I think I will go for the pale blue Russian camo for this one, although the Eritrean markings are really tempting...

So what is in the box... The fuselage is split into two halves and you get an additional 3 sprues, plus the canopy from the original kit. I'm not sure if the decals are from the original kit or not. Eduard have also included some canopy masks which is welcome.

So on top of the original kit, you get all the extra goodies which include some photo etch, coloured cockpit photo etch and resin cockpit detail. I believe the nose cone is aftermarket to correct the inaccuracies of the original kit.

On top of all the extra hard work, I decided to go all out with more aftermarket items. I've also purchased some photo etch ladders and intake covers, a resin wheel set and a tow bar, plus a metal pitot tube.

I think this will probably be my most ambitious aircraft build yet in terms of aftermarket accessories. I don't think it will be a quick build neither! Best get cracking!

14 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Looks like some interesting work ahead there, Richard, etched ladders, are you going to solder those? Talking of Ferraris I see Tamiya have just announced the 2017 F1 car, I think I’ll be tempted...

• Profile Photo

Hi mate, I don't have a soldering iron, it's something to look into though. I'll try with some industrial super glue first, see how that goes. I've never built a F1 car yet, but that kit sounds interesting...

Right, lets get this underway. It's the first time I've used a resin cockpit actually. There was a little bit of trimming required to get it to fit but nothing major. It looks like there will be a lot more brush painting required which isn't my strongest point, but we'll see how it goes. One thing I've noticed with the instructions is all the photo etch parts are numbered wrong! Never mind, not the end of the world!

With a little bit of base colour in place, the instrument canopies are test fitted and go in under the main canopy nicely. I assembled the instrument panels using metal foil glue, my preferred method for sliding the PE into place before setting clear. 16 different parts there alone on the displays.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Those instrument panels look terrific, Richard.

• Profile Photo

Cheers George. Eduard done all the hard work there, I just had to put them together! Still fiddly mind!

That's the cockpit tubs finished and test fitted. I applied a few washes to the panels as the Su-27 is a fairly old jet now and I didn't want them to appear brand new.

• Profile Photo

Just a quick update for now, most of the cockpit is finished and the tubs are fixed in place. Just the HUD's to do next. The seats were really fiddly...
    The air intakes are done now and sanded, I'm not going to bother too much with any detail inside as I have the PE covers which will need to be glued in place.

• Profile Photo

The air frame is together with the gaps filled. I used the masks included in the kit for the canopy.

I'm going to paint the tail parts separate to the main air frame for this one. When I built the Su-34 I glued the tails on before hand, which made it difficult to paint and weather in the later stages. I've used some Vallejo white primer for this one to aid paint adhesion.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Richard, your detail work is beautiful. You say Eduard did the hard work, but you sure did your part! The tubs look really great. I look forward to the rest of the build.

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Jeff, I'm with you - this is exquisite. Beautiful work Richard, and a real lesson in detail.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Cheers guys, I'm still not going to rain on Eduards bonfire, but I'll take the compliments. Thank you very much!

After putting down the initial coat of primer, I pre-shaded the fuselage and wings with a few different shades of grey, black and white. This is still my favourite method for depicting an older aircraft with varying degrees of sun bleaching and weathering.

I'm using Mig paints for this build and mixing the colours myself.

I was going to cheat and get some camo masks from eBay, but I had a wild weekend in York for my birthday and completely overspent! So I opted for a £1.50 pack of bluetack instead...

That's the main camo pattern down and I'm happy enough with it. The darker blues aren't exactly what I had envisaged, but then again they never are when I mix them myself! The finish is pretty smooth but I'm going to give it a final smoothing over with micro mesh when the paint has cured, just to try and keep the clear coat to a minimum.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Blu-tak is fabulous stuff, every modeller should have some.

• Profile Photo

Yes! The tool of the professional! And people like me who are winging it!

• Profile Photo

Just a quick update on this one. It's at the point now where the matt varnish is on after the decals and weathering. Sorry I haven't posted more on these stages, been full of busy!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Fabulous looking work, Richard...a real beauty - inside and out!

• Profile Photo

Thank you mate, much appreciated!