Airfix 1/48 Scale Blackburn Buccaneer S2B
The Airfix 1/48 scale British Buccaneer is a long out of production kit at this time, it has, and is, contempt-ed as being one of the more difficult kits to assemble / build, by most people and even the “scale Model builders” and ACEs .. but in-spite of all that, if and when, it is built with some very nice renditions on some of the other modeling sites by some very good modelers, they seem to look very well and very striking with all the various versions. This Model was one of the “never again” model constructions for me along with a few more over the years.
The S2B Buccaneer was a British low-level strike aircraft with Nuclear weapons’ delivery with the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force between 1962 and 1994 and provided service in the 1991 Gulf War. It flew in support of the TORNADO force as a target designator. This one is painted in the scheme before it went there and so, no “pink” paint.
I f fit is your thing, and rivet counting is extra special to you, then you can just forget this one and get the high dollar paste and paint kits and be sure to use the correct FS paint and just orange peel them to your hearts content. No adventure in that, ever notice that all are beginning to all just look alike?, A good skill build on an old (your pick),looks better than any new( your pick) of same thing in my opinion.
. My Hobby shop had this last Airfix kit and the reports were there were no more that he knew of. I had heard the tales about it but I had a challenge from of friend of mine. Looks ok in the box but as it turned out, a real chore.
Nothing seems to fit, but pictures and some after market Air wave etched metal for all the major detail parts which the kit did not have made me start fitting up parts and slapping on lots of putty and finding some brass tubing for the engines it started going together. The turbine faces were not good so I cut them off so I could fix the intakes with no seams and then replace turbines with some spares.
The wing fold areas would never fit so I used some etched metal to detail the fold areas and put them up as the last stage.
1 additional image. Click to enlarge.