Dragon 1/32 Bf110C Nightfighter WIP – No Black paint was used in the commission of this ‘sin’….
This is a WIP of my 1/32 Dragon 110C-7 kit, painted as L1+DH of NJG3, as it was photographed at Benghazi, Libya in 1941, with replacement tail surfaces from a Dayfighter.
What makes it “interesting” is that I used no black paint to achieve the weathered black finish (Which still needs some more work on it). BTW: a “Filter coat is a heavily thinned almost translucent coat of colour, it should make the under colour look Blue-ish or red-ish, NOT BLUE or RED.
I have also done a bit of post-shading and exhaust plumes, but only a ‘starter for 10’s ‘ worth…
Cut to the brief version:
1. Paint the plane in Bottle Tamiya Dark Olive Drab.
2. Mask a random number of panels (more on upper surface than lower) and paint those light to med BLUE. Ignore any overspray- it will add to the final effect anyway…
3. Mask a few more and apply a filter coat of that blue to them. Once dry remove all masking.
4. Mask a new number of random panels and paint a darkish red-brown.
5. Remove masking and apply ALLOVER filter coat of same reddish brown.
6.Take some very dark blue (midnite blue) and apply filter coat of that. (Not too much or it will be “too Blue” to the eye.
7 If it is a bit “too Blue” apply a final mixed filter coat of RLM 66 Shwartzgrau AND Tamiya Smoke in 50/50 proportions. This should cut back any colour to a gray effect.
8.Have a long stiff drink! It should look like above…
The last photo is the closest photo to the actual colour to the eye. The others are a bit too blue, why I do not know.
4 additional images. Click to enlarge.