Hasegawa 1/72 Kfir C-2 – Ecuador
Back when I first got into modeling (mid-80's), one of the first kits I built was the Testor Kfir as an F-21 Navy aggressor. I've always loved the lines of the Mirage family of delta aircraft, especially the modified versions (Kfir, Cheetah). I picked up this old Hasegawa Kfir kit intending to build an Israeli aircraft, but ran across a set of Aztec decals for the Ecuadorian version, and loved the color scheme - so went this route. While I was securing the decals I ran across a metal probe, so snagged that as well.
I made a few minor modifications - added the ejection seat pulls at the top of the seat to add a bit of interest (not sure it's accurate, but the seat was so plain). Wrapped some wire around a toothpick, superglued it on and painted. I also drilled out the small air scoops on the upper and lower fuselage, and of course added a pilot as always. Also had to cut some additional pieces of plastic card to close up the wheel bays properly, as the gear doors were not designed to be closed at all (often the case with older kits). I also altered the fuel tank so the fins were shaped like those I found images for on Ecuadorian Kfirs vs. Israeli ones. Lastly, I added a couple of triple ejector racks and bombs from the spares box.
The Aztec decals were a bit troublesome. When I used my typical process, they came off the backing with almost no adhesive whatsoever. When I tried to pat then down to remove excess water, I had difficulty keeping them from moving all over the place. I had already ordered some Humbrol DecalFix, so stopped the decal process until that arrived. I followed the YouTube video on using the DecalFix, and for some of the smaller decals it worked fine. However, I didn't realize that using the DecalFix as intended meant the decals had to be soaked in the solution about twice as long as usual, and I tore a few decals. I went back to soaking in water, and under- and top-coating with the DecalFix. I still ended up with some silvering (and only learned later about needing to soak twice as long from a friend). Oh well - learn as you go!
I custom mixed the top colors to split the difference with various reference photos using Vallejo acrylics. The underside was MM enamel. All brush painted as usual. Weathering and shading with pastel chalks and a little bit of Marc Barris' water color pencil/mineral spirits technique for some fluid staining. She makes a nice colorful addition to my display cabinet with the unique camo and colorful Ecuadorian markings.
15 additional images. Click to enlarge.
Your presentation of your builds are always something special, Greg and this one is no exception!
Aircraft models rarely fly but yours are well "underway" 🙂
Great build and paint work as usual by the way !
Unusual subject, and interesting take on it.
Nice job on that paint scheme, Greg...(love those stands). 🙂
Very nice Greg, I really like the paint scheme.
A little trick I use for repairing decals. I use a solution of about 20 to 30% white glue to water. After the decal is removed from the paper, I hold it with tweezers and dip it in the solution and re-attach it. This also works out really well for all kinds of decal repair..
Hmm - nice tip! I'll keep that in mind for the next time. I'm hoping once I master the process of using DecalFix I won't have that problem again.
Very smart Greg.
Looks stunning in this paint scheme! Very nice
Nice build and prezentation in flight!
Great job, a cool subject. I saw the F-21's at NAS Oceana years ago. I don't know if this will help but if I have suspect decals I've been using Testor's decal bonder #9200[3oz spray can]. to help restore them. It's part of their homemade decal system.
I've used the decal overcoat film that you brush on, but haven't tried anything from a spray can. Thanks for the tip!
Yes good looking model Greg, well done.
Hey Greg, what a great build, love it. I have just enough space in my display cabinet.
Nice job Greg, if decals give me problems I apply a little future to the area then while still wet apply the decal. Sucks them right down when drying.
Great build Greg, looks spot on!
Killer, as always, Greg