Eduard 1/72 Fw 190 A-8/R8
I thought I was done with Fw 190’s for a bit after I had finished my recent build of “Priller’s Würger” for this year’s EagleQuest. At that event I was discussing with a friend, Jerry Hendrickson, the “fun” I had closing up the engine cowling of the old tool Eduard 190 for that build. Jerry later won this kit during one of the raffles and gave it to me so I could have a go at the new tool kit to see if it was easier to build. The only real catch was that this was a 1/72 scale kit and I usually build 1/48 scale. As a matter of fact, this was my first 1/72 WWII fighter kit since 1979. So, I took this build as a challenge…a challenge to both my eyesight and my manual dexterity. My Opti-Visor and various tweezers were instrumental in any success I had. I must also say that 1/72 kits have come a very long way in both detail and fit since I last tried one.
I built this kit out of the box except for the hypo needle pitot tube (I broke the original one several times), brake lines (thin copper wire), and radio antenna (E-Z Line). This kit pretty much just fell together. The parts fit was beautiful. The only filler I used was on the forward gun trough on the cowling. This was not a “kit issue” but the result of a “self-inflicted wound”. I used the wrong part at first and didn’t realize my mistake until after the glue had set up. This required some “plastic surgery to correct my error.
I used Vallejo Air Paints throughout. Kit decals were used and went down nicely with Micro Sol and Micro Set. This was followed by oil panel line pin wash and AK weathering pencils (I really like these) for weathering and streaking. Lastly, I finished up with a coat of Vallejo Satin Acrylic varnish. A very, VERY nice kit. I highly recommend Eduard’s new tool Fw 190 kits.
13 additional images. Click to enlarge.