RCAF Coastal Command Liberator GR.V with Monogram’s 1/48 B-24D
The Liberator has always been one of my favorite U.S. Heavies and when Monogram introduced it back in 1978 it was a major breakthrough in modeling for me. I had seen photo’s of the Liberator in Royal Canadian Air Force Coastal Command markings and the addition of the Radomes ,Leigh Light and had always wanted to do the scheme as it looked on the airplane and was such a departure from Natural Metal, OD and Desert sand Thanks to Avieology Decals and Belcher Bits resin casting I was now able to do one. The markings represent a Liberator from #10 Squadron with the nose art “Nanette”. The airplane had three confirmed U-Boat sinkings. I didn’t want to spend a lot of time on interior parts that weren’t going to be seen, so I did a basic up grade to the seats by adding pads, armrests and seat belts using AIZU tape painted Neutral grey. Nothing fancy, no aftermarket but the work is not clearly visible. I did add an amidships support to the bomb bay as I was going to display the bomb doors open as the closed doors don’t fit very well on the model, and I wasn’t going to put bombs in it. The “Dumbo” radome on the chin required some surgery on the nose glazing to fit, so I used a Squadron Vacuform piece and cut per the Belcher Bits instructions. Sadly, the framing on the Squadron piece doesn’t match up with the kit one so the Eduard Masks Didn’t work, so I had to cut my own. A real nailbiter as the glazing is very thin especially around the very tip. I used Testors Classic White, Humbrol Sea Grey and Dark Sea Grey as called out in the specs. I did use Eduard ignition harnesses for the engines but that’s it. I used brass wire and AIZU tape for the brake lines and the tow rings on the main gear. I used spare bezels for the blue ID lights on the fuselage and the Red, Green, Amber on the under surface. I opened up the exhausts as well. I didn’t want to weather it too much as I am not good at it, so some dry brushing around the engines, pin washes and that’s about it. I did use some spare PE for the mounts of the Leigh light and used Modelkasten 1.5 flex line for the power cables. Overall I am quite pleased with it and it leads the lineup of Liberators in my collection. There you have it. Thanks for reading this and scoping it out.
20 additional images. Click to enlarge.