TBF Avenger – Atlantic Scheme
Here is my build of the great Accurate Miniatures TBF Avenger 1in 1/48. I actually had the Pacific version and had to buy Atlantic Scheme decals online. They were a bit old, so I substituted some of the stars and bars from other kits and spares (F4u and F64 leftovers).
I weathered this based on testimony and photos that these aircraft were kept quite clean, including wiping off of exhaust streaks. I think I got the basic Atlantic weather wear without overdoing it, but you can compare the photos included.
This is a superb, highly detailed kit. I only added few Eduard cockpit bits, including the instrument panel and seatbelts/harnesses. I redid the radio set wiring and added some labels. It’s a n impressive cockpit OOB, actually. I think this is one of the best kits I have ever built. One day I will build a Pacific version and also do an SBD.
The canopy masking was laborious but effective, in the end. I used Eduard masks, which surprisingly did not fit well at all. I had to retrim practically every panel and I used some of the thick kit masks (which were cut perfectly, even though they were less flexible). The turret was hardest to mask and even harder to install without scuffing the paint but it IS possible. The kit actually fits well but the engineering is extremely tight.
Colors were Gunze Interior Green inside and Tamiya Flat White, Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey for the Camo. Antenna wire is EZ line with drops of white glue for insulators.
I added a few pics of the underside after one request. I didn’t want to risk breaking anything at first, so I had the crazy idea to shoot upward in my cabinet through the glass. Only one pic was sort of OK. When I flipped it on its back, I broke one yagi antenna but did a quick repair. Better pics. The weapons bay is empty for now because I am making a carrier deck diorama with a torpedo still to be loaded. I may change that to depth charges, if I can find any.
Hope you like it.
23 additional images. Click to enlarge.