John Deere 310
This is the latest edition to my tractor collection, Ertl's John Deere 310. As a kid, I always wanted this kit, but never found it in the hobby stores I had available to me. I recently found this original 1975 kit on eBay for reasonable price, so was thrilled to be able to finally build it.
It's a nicely detailed kit, as the Blueprint Series kits tend to be, and went together fairly easily. It begs to be detailed, so I did a little bit of scratch building by adding the main hydraulic cylinder for the back hoe (it was completely missing), and adding some of the flexible and non-flexible hydraulic lines. I used left-over vinyl tubing from a motorcycle kit for the flexible line, and brass and aluminum wire for the rest.
Internet photos of actual 310's show that you simply can't overdo the rust and wear and tear - these things are old and beat up! Mine is intended to look used, but cared for. The buckets were painted with Testors Rubber, which I think emulates the color of rusted bare metal. Over top of that I sprayed Testors Rust for variation. I then brushed on Testors Steel for fresh wear marks.
I didn't take any chances with the decals, first spraying them with a coat of bonder, then supplementing their adhesive with watered-down white glue. Amazingly, they were applied with no problems whatsoever. I photographed it with the help of my grandson's sandbox. 🙂
It's a great little kit that I am pleased as punch to have in my collection. I hope you tractor lovers enjoy seeing it!
11 additional images. Click to enlarge.