Profile Photo
Matt Buxton
14 articles

Airfix 1/48 Tiger Moth

December 11, 2020 · in Aviation · · 11 · 2.3K

This is my build of the Shuttleworth from 's kit. It's a nice kit and well engineered, there's even an included jig for adapting the tail for the two different versions featured in the kit as one has the anti-spin strakes and the other doesn't. I used the Eduard PE kit for extra detail and rigging and the control cables are elastic thread. There are decals for the checkered patterning on the wings but I decided to try and paint them instead, apart from some colour bleed through the roundels I think they worked out OK.

Reader reactions:
16  Awesome

23 additional images. Click to enlarge.

11 responses

  1. That’s a dynamite paint scheme! Beautiful build Matt. A real pleasure to see.

  2. Nice work. Not easy masking even checkers.

  3. Very nice build. That masking must have been a trial of mental strength.

  4. Check-mate, very neatly done, and good to see one of these new Airfix kits completed. Definitely liked.

  5. This is a fantastic build, Matt!
    The scheme is really striking, excellently performed, immediately catching the eye; but the rest of your work is equally excellent, too.

  6. Fully agree to the comments above.
    You did a wonderful job by creating that checkerboard manually.

  7. Nice build sir

  8. The red checkerboard painting looks spot on. Looks like a PE nightmare all those hatches you added

  9. beautiful job on a very colorful machine. Paint trumps decals every time, whenever possible.
    Oh and you should keep it out of your clothes closet.

  10. Excellent work on painting the markings instead of the decals. I used to scoff at that (because I'm lazy) but after a few decal disasters I've been doing a lot of the same thing.

    I hope my version will look as good as yours.

  11. Nice build and paintwork Matt.

Leave a Reply