1/72 Italeri Swiss Airforce Hawk MK 66
My original plan was to build this kit to depict a Red Arrows aircraft. Somehow I lost the plot and ended up using the kit decals depicting a Swiss Airforce aircraft. I liked the red and white paint scheme set off with the Swiss cross markings. Only later did I realize that the Swiss scheme was essentially the same as the RAF training scheme with different roundels.
The kit went together nicely with little drama. The only modifications were improving the heads up display area and adding 2 larger wing fences that were not included in the kit. I airbrushed Tamiya white lacquer primer overall. I masked off the white areas with Tamiya tape for the edges and cheap painters tape for the larger areas. I sprayed the wings with Humbrol enamel 127 gray. More masking and then I airbrushed Humbrol #19 red. I noticed later that the line between the red and the white wasn’t quite right so I re-masked the nose area and resprayed the red to fix the problem. I also masked off the black anti glare panel on the nose and airbrushed it Humbrol flat black.
The white primer is essentially a flat finish so I polished it with a rag to get a semi gloss finish. The kit decals went on quite well using a bit of Microscale Micro Sol, although one tail decal bubbled for some mysterious reason.
My only complaint regarding this kit is that the canopy is a bit clunky. The detonation wires are a bit overscale. Not a deal breaker but still there is room for improvement. Overall a nice little inexpensive kit.
For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to build 3 Hawks at once. I am also building a 1/72 Italeri RCAF Hawk and a 1/48 Airfix RCAF Hawk. I am struggling a bit with the deep blue gloss finishes with these 2 models at the moment. It is my experience that dark gloss finishes on small jet aircraft are very unforgiving, compared to matt finishes, which can hide many flaws.
11 additional images. Click to enlarge.