IH 1466 Puller
The seed for this project idea came when I was building the prior IH 1466, and noted that the tractor looked pretty cool without the cab on. Looking around at IH 1466 photos on the internet, I came across a number of tractors set up for pulling, so the idea formed to build one like that. The idea came to complete fruition after I found an Ertl kit on eBay at a lower-than-usual price, so I snatched it up and the project went forward.
Several modifications were made to the stock Ertl kit tractor. The first was buying another Heller MF 2680 kit just for the rear tires and rims to replace the stock rear tires. The Heller kit tires were wider and had flatter tread, more like a pulling tractor would wear. The Heller wheels were cut away leaving only the rims, which were then modified with an extra layer of styrene to fit the wheels from the Ertl kit.
I then began building the weights. As you can see from the photo, each weight was made of 5 pieces of styrene glued together. After doing 10 of those, I decided that would be enough!
After that I chopped away the hitch, top link, and PTO portions of the tractor body. I also removed the molded-in cab mounts, which partially obscured the prominent batteries on each side of the transmission. This then required reshaping the remaining plastic to finish off the batteries. I did some puttying to blend the side rails into the bell housing and built the weight mounts.
I then was ready to build the custom hitch and the wheelie bars. Using reference photos from the internet, I built the hitch from styrene and the wheelie bars from aluminum tubing, which was superglued together. I was very pleased with how all this came out looking.
After the difficulties I had building the hood on the first IH 1466 kit, I took a different approach this time. I assembled the hood pieces and the grill all at once so I could so some sanding and get the fit to look better this time around. I painted this assembly separately with the rattle can, then hand painted all the grillwork with Vallejo acrylics - which was handy because I could fix any screw ups with just a damp cloth.
The last challenge was to build the fenders completely from scratch. They are basically just folded and shaped sheet styrene, which, to my surprise, was not all that difficult to do. The real trick became getting two of them to look alike! I ended up building three and using the two that were most similar 🙂
The last thing was scratch-building the clutch and brake pedals, again using aluminum tubing bent to shape, then hammered flat.
After that I did final assembly and decals. As usual I sprayed bonder on the decals and applied with white glue, but even so, the one "Turbo" decal pretty much disintegrated. I'll have to try and replicate that one some day. The last step was adding the side panels in sheet styrene covered with aluminum foil, and adding the "BIG RED" decals.
This was a fun project, and a bit of an indulgence, since these kits are worth a LOT more money in the box with the plastic on, than they ever will be after I get done building them. I hope you tractor lovers like my latest effort!
12 additional images. Click to enlarge.