Italeri 1/48 Bae Hawk: Red Arrows
Here is the second of my Bae Hawk derivatives series. The Italeri kit does not come with intakes, and the cockpit details are a bit off in terms of placement of the seats, fore to aft and also heights relative to the canopy rail. Using reference photos I was able to correct those areas to match the photos.
The nose mounted pitot is also weakly represented in the Italeri kit, so I made one using some Arba stainless steel tubing I have had in my supplies for years. Again, I followed reference images to get it as accurate as I could.
I built up an intake structure using a Hasegawa 1/48 F-18 drop tank. I made a fan using plastic card and some kit sprue. I only fit the outermost halves of the intake trunking as you would not have been able to see the sides of the trunking closest to the centerline of the aircraft once it was all buttoned up- couldn't photograph it well enough to prove my point, but it works!
I used Xtracolour Post Office Red- the official Red Arrows Red. The decals were insane to fit, but I got it to all work using Future as a softener/adhesive. I used Tamiya Acrylic white to touch up gaps and fill in where the decals chipped. I found that Testors Enamel "Chrysler Engine Blue" was a good match for the Blue in the Red Arrows Scheme- at least what Italeri chose for the kit decals! The tail fin decals were tricky to fit with the separate rudder part, and I had to touch up the trailing edges where the blue was. I hope you have enjoyed my Red Arrows Hawk.
My third and final Hawk I have planned for the series is the Airfix 1/48 Bae Hawk 100- which I don't have, and hope to get one day- I plan to build the CAF Hawk 100 deep blue scheme.
10 additional images. Click to enlarge.