Another try: Rescuing an adult SoD- Revell/Monogram Do.217 E

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 71 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Thank you guys for the nice feedback, Walt, @fiveten Spiros and @airbum Erik.

Louis, @lgardner, the box you have is the initial release kit, exactly at the turn of the millennium.
    Your decals are of good quality and are still well preserved, qualities unlike my decal sheet. All the plastic is exactly the same in Monogram or Revell boxes.
    PM me a photo of your decal sheet so I can see if it has the same oversized wing crosses as mine

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

G'day Pedro (@holzhamer),

I built this kit, well the same one Louis (@lgardner) has, back in 2016 and it is one of my favourite builds.

Looking at my build notes I can offer the following advice;

• I glued the two lower fuselage parts together and when dry, I glued three spacers spanwise across the gap at the top so that it had the correct spread for mating to the upper fuselage part. This also gave some internal strength to the join which was needed for when I later filed and sanded the join smooth.

• The upper central wing and outer panels are butt joins so I reinforced this area by gluing some plastic sheet under both upper central wing surfaces (see picture).

• The Do-217 had slotted ailerons, meaning that there was a gap between the wing and the aileron leading edge. The kit doesn't have this feature, perhaps betraying the vacuform origins of the kit design. I considered doing something about this but in the end I decided to ignore it as I wasn't sure exactly how big the gap should be, nor the correct profile for the ailerons.

• One of the criticisms of this kit is the front cowling ring and the cooling fan and one can purchase after-market resin replacements for these. I couldn't see what the problem is and used the kit parts. Another criticism is the spinners, again part of the after-market replacement set. After looking at numerous photos, I decided that the spinners were a shade too long and the propeller openings far too large. To remedy this, I sanded the rear of the kit spinners to reduce their length, which also had the effect of reducing the propeller openings to give a closer fit.

• A bit of blending with putty and sanding was required when it came to attaching the nacelles to the wing, but I didn't think this was too bad.

• poor fit of lower nose glazing and blending upper nose glazing

Good luck with the rest of your build.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Hello there Michael!

Really appreciate your hints based on build experience. Let me say that your model looks terrific mate!

I will take your two first advices in serious considerations when the time to start glueing fuselage halves comes. I had read somewhere about the problem with the wings butt joint, so a wingspar is surely needed to ensure rigidity and a tight fit. Your approach is excellent.

About the spinners and cowling rings, I guess the AM parts you mention are the long OOP Cutting Edge set. Indeed I can’t see anything about the rings just yet, but the spinners are indeed a bit blunt on the tips comparing to the real thing. But that’s nothing that keeps me from sleeping right?!

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I read a review that I had printed out and saved in the box along with the instructions. In the review it mentioned the exact same things Michael did. As far as the spinners, it stated they were the correct shape and size, and added they were about 1 MM too long. It also mentioned the ailerons, but did not state how to correct them. I will most likely leave it alone when I build mine. Check your mail box, as I have sent you a PM as requested. Thanks 🙂

Michael, @michaelt
    That is exactly how I hope my model turns out ! You nailed it ... and your build looks exceptionally nice. All of your work looks great, and I especially enjoyed your recent Me-262 build journals and headline articles.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 2 months ago:

While I wait for the arrival of some AM MG81 to replace the kit parts, I’ve been working on several minor details that compose the elements of the cockpit including some bit of color around the radios and fuse boxes, plus some side panels. Don’t get those as true to life color choices, since I vaguely follow my instincts looking at those B&W photos.

The O2 hose is rubber with a resin tip (the connection piece to the crew oxygen masks) from an old Cutting Edge set. The base is simple scratchmade based on cockpit photos.

Just a few details left to add before I can close the entire cockpit inside the fuselage halves... hope those guns arrive fast

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Pedro (@holzhamer), as usual your skils with the paint is superb! I hope I might get there too one day (just got a magnifier lamp, so there might be hope on the horizon)

• Profile Photo

@airbum Erik, how do you think I go about painting itsy bitsy details like these? I can’t even read a book without my reading glasses 🙂

• Profile Photo

I will have a go at reading glasses AND a magnifyingglass lamp 😀

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

@michaelt - Wow! Your result is a fantastic encouragement to do this kit.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I'm in that camp also - prescriptions glasses for reading, and my magnifying lamp. Without them, a modeler I am not!

• Profile Photo

Spent the afternoon testing and thinking about how to best get the fuselage and the cockpit parts assembled.

Decided not to follow the instructions hoping to avoid mismatch parts.

Here’s what I did

Glued the lower right fuselage to the top fuselage/wing empennage first, then glued the right console of the cockpit to the side wall of the fuselage and when it was dry, I glued the back of the cockpit (radio post).

I did try to glue the later to the left side console but the fit was not tight and even, and so far I could not understand the reason. Glued to the right side was trouble free as it fit nicely

Also started the resin flaps, oh boy! A lot of sanding needed, and those holes are not all perforated, so it will take some time and care to prep them all

A dry test shows that the contours are not adjusted to the wing, so some work needed there too

Finally got some very nice mechanics manual of the Dornier from a very helpful chap in another forum, and that made me realize I need to scratch some bit of floor on the cockpit

I already made the cushions from one of my daughters play foam (useful stuff) so all it needs is a floor and a few extras to complete the central area of the cockpit.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Perdro - you are really going all out on this one! Such incredible detail.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

G'day Tom (@tcinla),
    Thanks for the compliment.

Pedro (@holtzhamer), your work on the cockpit tells me I've a lot to learn about painting and detailing an interior, though. You are improving upon an already excellent cockpit (the best oob cockpit I've come across) with great added details and subtle shading.
    It is making me want to build another...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Watching this build Pedro, like Louis and others I have the Pro Modeler Do-217E kit as well a set of Aeromaster decals that includes the Ju-188 set I am using for the Racher that is in progress. When I had the kit down, I almost pulled the trigger on it to start work on it. But with 2 Invaders starting, a pair of Lightning's as well as the 188 and other projects, just no room for another mid-size multi-engine bomber. But your work so far Pedro is excellent. The interior looks fantastic. The details really pop and I am taking notes.

• Profile Photo

Now we get treated to not only the @holzhamer scratchbuild thingies, but some nice AM resin parts too! Great stuff as always Pedro.