Academy 1/48 F-86FSabre, HAF

Started by George R Blair Jr · 149 · 1 week ago · Academy 1/48 F-86F, F-86E(M), Hellenic Air Force, Icarus Decals, Sabre
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Colin (@coling): I am doing a lot of experimentation with this plane. I am trying to find solutions to the seams in the intake and exhaust. I am more annoyed by the fact that both areas have alignment pins and ejector pin depressions in highly visible places, not to mention the big cutouts in the intake where the gear well and the cockpit are molded. Natural metal finishes are always an experiment for me. I have avoided them religiously and have only attempted them in the last few months. I have tried a couple of different ways to do NMF. I really like Humbrol metals in the spray can. They have a number of different colors of metallics, and they look good and have a really tough finish. They are easy to spray and get a nice finish. When I use Humbrol, I use Vallejo metals to get the variation in the panels. I have used Vallejo metals for a couple of planes. I plan to use one of them for the F-86, but I have a small collection of metals I might try, including Alclad II, Mig, and a couple of others. I have never used them on a model, so I figure I need to do some experimentation on something other than the model I am building. Like you mentioned, Vallejo is easy to fix if there is a problem. I didn't like the color I picked on some parts that hadn't been added to the model, so I dropped them in a dish with some alcohol, and it stripped back to plastic. Acrylics are great!

• Profile Photo

I spent my building time today getting the interior of the fuselage ready to close up. I added the intake and its stowaways, the cockpit and the nose gear well. There are two internal bulkheads in the middle part of the fuselage that I planned to leave out because I wasn't adding the engine, but I added them at the last minute hoping they would provide a little structure to keep the seams lined up.

The tailpipe is created by gluing the two halves together, creating a large seam on both side of the pipe. In addition, Academy has annoyingly put large alignment pins in a very visible spot near the end of the pipe, along with a couple of large ejector pin marks right at the end of the pipe. I started doing a little filling and decided I wanted to try something else. A tailpipe is really a pretty simple shape, so I decided to try designing a replacement tailpipe and then printing it in my 3D printer. The design software I use is very simple, and I was very surprised that I was able to design and print a seamless tailpipe that fit perfectly in the fuselage. Yeah!

I was getting ready to glue the fuselage together when I remembered to add some weight for the nose. The instructions recommend 15 grams of weight, so I added two 1/4 ounce fishing weights. According to Google, 15 grams should be close to a 1/2 ounce, so I figure it should sit on its nose gear. I am not using the engine, so the tail should be even lighter than expected.

I finished up by taping the wings together. I plan to see how they fit after the fuselage is dry. Spiros had to do some creative magic to eliminate gaps between the fuselage and the wings, so forewarned is fore-armed. Hopefully more tomorrow. Cheers everyone.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I forgot to answer one of your questions, Colin (@coling), as far as which plane I plan to go with. Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and I were talking about building a trio of F-86s, all in Greek colors. Spiros is doing a NATO camouflage. Several of the F-86 squadrons had similar paint schemes with all natural metal finish, along with the entire tail painted in squadron colors. John is doing one with a red tail, and I will do one with either a yellow tail or a green tail. John plans to display his model with the tail separated and showing the engine, while mine will be in one piece. I am planning to do a 2nd model, with either Edwards test markings or perhaps a QF-86. Draw Decals just released new decals for each of these. Yeah!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @gblair! Love your 3D printed tailpipe!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Some impressive progress, George @gblair
    The 3D printed tailpipe is a huge improvement over the original one, need to see how I'm going to deal with mine.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Luckily the tailpipe was a simple shape and it was easy to design on the simple software I use. It is still annoying how Academy designed the intake and tailpipe.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

George (@gblair), the more I see of you doing these 3D prints, the more I keep reminding myself that I need to start down that path. I can think of any number of things I could have done differently with this technology. What I need to solve to get going is the cost, infrastructure (where to put this device), and for me personally, the knowledge to learn and use them. So many things going on in my life, that it often seems daunting to add something else, that in my mind at least, seems like it will take a fair amount of effort to accomplish. I am sure this is partly mental on my part.

Anyway, the Sabre is looking great. I like your solution to the tailpipe. I am looking forward to getting back to my Fury now that I am nearly done with the RAAF Lightning (article coming soon).

• Profile Photo

Hi, Carl (@clipper): Thanks. The F-86 is moving along despite the poor design choices that Academy has made.

I was in the same place you are when I started 3D printing. I didn't want to add a bunch of complication to my life, so I resisted jumping in for a long time. My wife actually pulled the trigger for me by getting me a 3D printer for Christmas a couple of years ago. There is a learning curve involved with the printer, but not nearly as steep as I thought there was. I am still learning how to use design software to create my own parts. The software is basically the same as other any other CAD programs, but I have never really used them before. Like a lot of technology, the cost for a printer has actually decreased considerably. You can get a small printer, with a curing station, and some resin for just a little over $200 on Amazon. After you get the printer, you learn as you go and you spend a lot of time on YouTube.

Looking forward to your Fury article. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

I had electricians running around the house today, so not much accomplished. I taped the wings together and tried a preliminary dry fit on the fuselage. Everything looks pretty good there. I started wet-sanding the fuselage. The top and intake seem to be in pretty good shape and required minor filler and sanding. The bottom didn't fare so well. I like to use a sanding stick that is designed for doing women's nails that has four different grits on it. By the time you use all four grits on the stick, you can polish the plastic to something near glass. Since this will be a natural metal finish, my crystal ball sees a lot of use for this stick in the future. I may even drift on over to Sally's Beauty Supply and pick up some more just in case, or you can get them from Amazon. Tomorrow I hope to add the wings and fit the many panels on the fuselage. Cheers.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Looking good, George.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Yes it is, George.

• Profile Photo

Solid progress, my friend @gblair! This sanding stick looks to work pretty well!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Looks very smooth, that stick seems to be a valuable tool, George @gblair
    You are making some good progress on the Sabre.

• Profile Photo

Thanks,
    John (@j-healy)
    Eric (@eb801)
    Spiros (@fiveten)
    John (@johnb)
    I really like these particular sanding sticks, which work wet or dry, and last forever. The one I am using now is almost a year old.

I everyone else have trouble with email notifications? For the last week, mine have been coming across as code, and are completely useless for getting back to the comment in iModeler. I have left the info for the Administrator.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

So far so good with my email notifications here, my friend @gblair.