Tamiya Yamaha FZR750R OWO1 1/12th

Started by Cricket · 53 · 6 months ago · 1/12, motorcycle, Tamiya, Yamaha
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 months ago:

That exhaust looks great, Cricket @bikequeen, a good day’s work, or, as the Fab Four would say - A Hard Day’s Night.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 6 months ago:

@chinesgeorge LOL…you got that right George! It’s been a week. The exhaust could have been better for some reason the Metallic Silver didn't come out as good as it had in the past

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months ago:

Awesome job as always, my friend @bikequeen and I love this exhaust! Interesting that Tamiya fell short on those decal placement instructions - guess you can never take anything for granted. Great that you sorted yourself out with the net pics.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months ago:

To me that exhaust looks perfect, Cricket @bikequeen
    Glad you were able to find the correct location of the decals.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @johnb Thanks guys this would be a plain Jane kit if not for the extra details painted, it was made in the 80’s and reissued with clear front cowlings which is why I brought it. The larger decals are a pain 🙁 so i painted some on with limited success….pics later today

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months ago:

Large decals are a pain, Cricket (@bikequeen), especially ones that have to wrap around curves. Looking forward to the pics of your next steps.

• Profile Photo

@jagmkx @eb801 @j-healy @faraomike @pb_legend @airbum @fis3 @1001 @ssgt @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @coondog @billkoppos @atjoe @impisi @dion-dunn

Hi all and @gblair here is my solution to the decal issue. I dont remember where I saw it, but I tried putting Tamiya masking tape over the decal sheet. I was pretty sure it would lift the decal off the backing but it didnt. So I took a razor knife and cut out around the decal to make a mask. Once the tape was in place I sprayed clear over it to limit the bleeding under the tape, It worked pretty well. Some bleed but not bad was able to fix with a tin y brush and red paint. For the decal on the rear side I just taped it off and masked the rest. Tamiya Bright Red seems to be a perfect match. Sadly I didn’t take photos of the finished product :/. But here it is on the bike, (super zoomed in, larger than life 🙂 so all the imperfections are glaring) the bike is done but I had to let the glue set over night on a couple pieces before I could put the cowlings on so I will get completed pics later today. We are supposed to get up to 2 inches of rain tomorrow so I guess my voodoo doll worked ; )

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@jagmkx @eb801 @j-healy @faraomike @pb_legend @airbum @fis3 @1001 @ssgt @fiveten @anthonyricco @eb8010 @eb8011 @eb8012 @eb8013 @eb8014 @eb8015 @eb8016 @eb8017 @eb8018

Here is where I left off sans pics of cowlings :). I am particularly proud of the front rotors which were plain white. I drilled out the vent holes and rivets a laborious process. I then painted the whole rotor with Tamiya silver Leaf, cut out circle masks and placed the first over the outer disk then painted with Tamiya Semi Gloss Bright Gunmetal. Put on the next mask circle and painted with Gloss aluminum. Lastly I painted the rivets and center bolts with Chrome Silver.

I dont like the plain racing stand so I used the kick stand which later broke and had to be repaired. I painted the racing stand in case the kick stand breaks again.

And lastly here it is with seat and tank in place, still to be added are all the lines. Oh BTW @fiveten Spiros, I did find the decal placement, it was a half sheet in the bottom of the box, but I guessed right on all of them 😉

--- pic8 not found ---

Sorry for the long winded tirade 🙂

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 months ago:

You got there in the end, Cricket @bikequeen, as you say, just the lines to go. Your brake discs look great. It’s funny about the stands, I prefer the racing stands because they make the bikes stand upright, although they do make the rear wheels a bit high. I’ve got a special etched metal Ducati stand I only bring out on special occasions…….

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge. Thanks for the compliment George….Yes I got that stand too. the is racing stand is to generic! I just dont like it, bike looks more realistic with the kick=k stand 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months ago:

This one really came out nicely, Cricket (@bikequeen). Your paint masks worked out well.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 6 months ago:

@bikequeen -Great work Cricket! The mask turned out really well and the disc brakes are incredibly well detailed. Very nice!

• Profile Photo

@gblair @brithebuilder thanks guys! The masks are a work in progress an experiment with future possibilities :). I really happy with the rotor.

• Profile Photo

@jagmkx @eb801 @j-healy @faraomike @pb_legend @airbum @fis3 @1001 @ssgt @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @coondog @billkoppos @atjoe @impisi @dion-dunn

The Yamaha FZR750R OW01 is done. As I have said all in all a rudimentary kit but I had a chance to practice my nano painting skills :). Lots and lots of tiny painting. The decals were mostly okay some not so much like the license tag on back is awful. I like the clear cowlings. It went together easy and fast, the real work went into painting and drilling the rotors…worth it : )

An finally my next project is in house! To quote Monty Python “And now for something completely different” It should be fun…it’s mostly already painted but I will add stuff to it…now you know why I wanted to paint wood 🙂

14 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months ago:

Looking awesome as always, my friend @bikequeen! Good that you found the decal sheet, so all good for Tamiya, even better that your decal placement guessing was spot-on (but that was to be expected from your superb skills).