Yamaha ZYR-M1 2009 Version, with Top Studio parts

Started by Cricket · 115 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

@rory @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder

Seems Tamiya made about 4 or 5 version and variations of this bike.

My shipment came in yesterday, From Japan to my Door in a blazing 17 hours!

The parts are crazy nuts detailed this will be the true test of my skills or II will have to stop down as Bike Queen ;). The cowling is clear so that should be fun šŸ™‚

Here are some pics of parts. The chain is brass and needs to be fully assembled in 1/12thā€¦.YIKES. Tons of PE and resin parts. (I hate CA glue šŸ™ )

Picsā€¦.I started the frame

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

@bikequeen - You will always be the "Bike Queen" Cricket!

I don't think anyone really likes CA glue. It is useful for some things though. If you don't have any, I'd pick up some CA de-bonder. I use Un-Cure from BSI (Bob Smith Industries). It's really helpful for cleaning residue off of the surfaces after you glue the parts.

That chain is going to be really interesting. I'm very hopeful that it actually goes together nicely. If so, I'll be using one on my next bike as well. Good Luck! That is an incredible amount of parts.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi @bikequeen, these Tamiya Yamaha kits are really good as they stand, along with the front fork hop up kits, so adding more detail from Top Studio should result in a first class model, but best of luck with those tiny pieces. I tried to make up a chain for a Honda Monkey a while ago but gave up, I needed at least one extra hand to hold the parts together, then realised it was 90% hidden on the finished model anyway.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

That Tamiya kit looks incredible, Cricket. You can always count on these guys to issue superb, well engineered models.

Now that I discovered BSI Gold CA glue (which doesnā€™t fog up clear parts), Iā€™ve come round to using it regularly. Works well for filling in mistakes (a couple of applications plus quick dry times) and sands smooth.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Really amazing, my friend @bikequeen! Your excellent skills will tackle everything for sure!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

You should never stop as being Bike Queen, Cricket @bikequeen
    You builds are amazing so this nickname will remain valid forever.
    All those additional parts do look amazing, a real challenge I would say but with your skills you will definitely tackle this. And don't feed those tine elements to the carpet monster.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Everyone before me is right, you will always be the Bike Queen, Cricket (@bikequeen). This model looks like a real challenge, but I am sure you will tame it. I have a love/hate relationship with superglue. I have been using a white glue that is designed for photoetch by Mig called Ultraglue. It works really well for gluing flat instrument panels in the cockpit. It dries clear, so I also use it for canopies. It cleans up with water. I am not sure how it would work for gluing very small pieces together. The chain makes my hand shake just looking at it. Looking forward to this bike.

• Profile Photo

Thank you everyone, I really didnā€™t want to abdicate the throne šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ :). this is definitely an intimidating challenge!. I studied the site both sets of directions and all the parts for hours and decide the heck with and just jumped it. I cringed whole I cut parts off the Tamiya frame to make room for the resin parts.

I got my nails done Thursday and now I have to be careful not to get CA glue or acetone on themā€¦.itā€™s a girl thingā€¦.LOL

This build may take me more than a few hours

Psā€¦. Did I mention I HATE CA glue SIGH

• Profile Photo

Adventures in micro paining šŸ™‚

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Wow, Cricket (@bikequeen), I would need my trifocals for those.

• Profile Photo

@gblair ā€¦ Yep I am using an electron Microscopeā€¦.LOL

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

This is definitely micro painting, Cricket @bikequeen
    Can imagine you need an electron microscope for that, at least I would need one. šŸ™‚
    Great work.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Awesome job, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Wow, Cricket @bikequeen, thatā€™s amazing, I hope they factored in enough spare parts to feed the carpet monster.

• Profile Photo

@chinesgeorge no carpet monster here George! I work in the kitchen, so there is the linoleum monster, where parts drop 3 to 4 feet, and bounce into a parallel dimension never to be seen again. Either that or the dog eats them )