Protar Greeves 360 Challenger, scale 1/9

Started by Adolfo Coelho · 13 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Hi!

One main piece missing for a Heller 1/24 Delahaye 135 (got a price for the missing piece + shipping costs with Heller's Spare Parts department, piece should be shipped this next week to a friend's address in France as they only ship within France, which then he will ship to me) that I started many moons ago, and had started trying to restore/repaint/rebuild and finish recently but had to interrupt because of the fundamental piece #1, plus two diecast metal 1/24 scale from the now defunct Gabriel (later Hubley) that I can't build because I somehow lost or misplaced the assembling instructions (and without them I'm definitely no good in mechanics, nor cars, nor any others... 🙁 ) .
    I know for others here it would be a piece of cake, I wish I could...
    With these three on a hold, my 120mm US Navy pilot (WWII Pacific) between drying oil paints, or waiting for a couple of Humbrol enamel paints I ordered for the main uniform, it's going slowly, hence I have plenty of time for other projects while this one has its phases down/off.

I decided to start this 2nd motorcycle I had on my old stash, made by Protar, same manufacturer as the Montesa cota 247 recently finished (here, finished : https://imodeler.com/2018/10/1-24-montesa-cota-247/ and here the WiP: https://imodeler.com/groups/motorcycles/forum/topic/montesa-cota-247-1-9/ ) .
    This one is a Greeves 360 Challenger, also at 1/9 scale, as the Montesa.
    It's if not mistaken, from the online research I've done, a 1967 cross motorcycle.

Funny because being the same manufacturer for both, the instructions manuals are quite different.
    This one is as shown on the following photos:

(I'm almost finished with Part 2 now)

The parts:

The tyres, the chain (which is in rubber), and two small spues. Mainly the seat, a couple of the engine parts, the gas tank, other smaller parts :

Two more sprues, one mainly engine parts, on the other the two parts exaust pipe, parts of the chassis, others:

Two sprues with only chrome parts:

And as usual, one sprue only for rubber parts:

Started tonigh, done so far (painted some Humbrol enamel Gloss Black - mixed with some flatting agent - parts and a green part, for this one I used Humbrol enamel Matt Uniform Green, #76) :

Some of the other non yet painted pieces visible on the pics, some will be Grey, others Black. And then others chrome (which I'll maintain the one from the original kit) . But now most of those pieces have been painted.

Cheers!

Dolfo

• Profile Photo

Engine is finished. Now moving to step 3 on the instructions manual.

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Looks good, 'Dolf! I've never done a motorcycle. In that scale, the details look impressive.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeff (@mikegolf) !

Yes, on this 1/9 scale, motorcycles are indeed quite detailed 😉

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

Some progress done.

Assembled, sanded, glued, and painted all gray parts (I used Humbrol enamel Matt German Panzer Gray, a now apparently inexistant Humbrol color on the official charts, before it was called HM4, and just a bit of Humbrol enamel Matt Mid Green, #101, 2 parts for 10 parts of HM4.

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

Ok, some progress made.

After the last post & pics, the whole Gray and Green parts had a 1, or 2 in some cases, coat(s) of Humbrol Satin Varnish.

Drying time:

Then the joining of two of the previous builds (phases 1 & 2), on phase 3.

Here is the result:

And today a 3rd built was added, the handlebars (?). the front fork, the mudguard:

Next, the front wheel. Then the same for the rear wheel.

Then the final touches & it's amost finished.

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

No one seems interested, but as I started it I'm finishing it... 😉

The front wheel is now (somewhat in a bit precauriously situation, the screws are not long enough/strong enough, not sure how to fix this) assembled, with the wheel actually turning good.

Cheers

Dolf

• Profile Photo

And the rear wheel:

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 5 years, 5 months ago:

That's actually pretty cool!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Rob (@robertandy) !

Glad that you enjoy the building.

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

Now it starts looking like a motorbyke:

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

A lot happened since the last pictures.

I had to change/fix a few important issues.
    Small pieces tend to unglue/break when moving forward on the building, forcing often to restart a phase that was apparently already finished.

Anyway, after the previously posted pics (the rear wheel axe changed in the meantime, I think now is correct according to the instructions), a few new phases took place.

That's how she looked on December 4:

And on December 5. The rear dampers (?) are finally in place:

And since yesterday, December 6, the exhaust pipe is now in place:

Now it's time for the seat, the reservoir, the rear wheel buffer, some decals... and the "tubes"/"pipes"/"cables" (all but one made on black rubber), for which there is not a word on the assembling instructions...

And then it will need a new (probably) full paint, and a new satin varnish coat.

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Now 99% ready, only missing the "tubes" and "cables" (which I'm still trying to learn how & where to place them) and some repainting of some parts and a full new varnishing.

Cheers!

Dolf