Revell 1/32 Heinkel He219 A-0/A-2 โ€Uhuโ€ Nachtjรคger Dual Build

Started by Louis Gardner · 83 · 1 year ago · 1/32, group build, He219, Heinkel, Luftwaffe, Uhu
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

These two aircraft models were previously started in the regular Work in Progress "Aircraft" section. Spiros Pendedekas @fiveten
    and Louis Gardner @lgardner
    are both building one of these big 1/32 scale Revell Night Fighter kits. After some discussion, it was agreed to move the remaining updates over here, where they are better suited.

You can see all of the work that has been previously completed by following this link:

https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/revell-1-32-heinkel-he219-a-0-a-2-uhu-nachtjager-dual-build/?topic_page=1&num=15

• Profile Photo

Here are a few pictures that detail the cockpit construction. The radar and radio sets look good once the kit supplied decals were applied. With some Solvaset applied they snuggled down very nicely.

These remaining photo show the rest of the cockpit before it was installed into the cockpit.

Stay tuned for another installment. Thanks !

• Profile Photo

Both of the seats were left out so I can add the aftermarket seat harness. The original molded on seat belts were sanded / filed away, then the surrounding area was polished smooth. I will be installing these aftermarket harnesses soon... so please check back for updates on this.

The pair of 3/8 inch bolt sets that I used for nose weight have been inserted into the cockpit, just ahead of the front main wing spar / bulk head. Here you can see how these bolts were positioned.

Once the cockpit was installed, and the fuselage halves were closed, this captures the weights, and they will not move around.

The armored glass was installed ahead of the pilot, and I glued the additional armor plate in the lowered position. The Revi gun sight was modified, by simply punching out two small discs out of clear plastic sheet. These two clear discs had a small flat spot cut on them. Then they were glued in place, at different angles, to better replicate the glass portion of the Revi .

If you look closely, you can see what I'm talking about.

Once I was happy with the work on the cockpit, I simply inserted it into the fuselage, which had the rear sections already glued together. By leaving the front half of the fuselage open and not glued, you can capture the nose weight and get the cockpit aligned more easily.

The fuselage was now almost completed, and I had made a set of 50 gram weights (using the same 3/8X 1.25 inch bolts with 4 3/8 nuts taped together) for each engine nacelle.

Then I installed the upper fuselage part. It is molded to fit along an existing panel line. This resulted in a perfect fit, with no sanding required.

The lower fuselage part, where the quad MG151/20 MM cannons were used was assembled next. I drilled out all four of the cannon muzzles using a number #72 drill bit.

This is actually very close to the 20MM scale size in 1/32 ! I did the math... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Once the lower gondola portion was completed, it too was installed... Now we have a He-219 fuselage, with a set of bare engine nacelles...

This thing is BIG... and I like it.

The fit has been spot on so far. As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 3 years ago:

Louis,

I honestly, believe your either chained to your bench or have an army of Keebler elves. Your so productive. Great work ethic and reading your progress on each build is frosting on the cake. The Ta-154 Mosquito is inspirational and now this He-219 is coming along . . . a great relief from all of the reality that surrounds us. Keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years ago:

That is a seriously nice looking cockpit! Looks like a very good kit. Nice work on your end, and should offer you a nice big canvas for painting. Do you know scheme you will be doing?

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 3 years ago:

OK guys , now things got really serious !
    I look forward to the next part ...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Hi everyone!

I have always liked the Uhu, and was fascinated by the big Revell kit.

To make a long story short, it was because of our great friend @lgardner, that I was motivated to buy and start my Uhu kit, in the form of a dual build (think of it: a dual build of 1/32 Uhus is not something you see every day!). This is a wonderful kit! Here is my progress so far:

Here are thje engine cowlings, one with the circular radiator assembled, one unassembled:

Here are the nacelle innards, fishing weights added, secured with my sons' modeling clay, followed by "caging" with styrene pieces:

This kit was stalled for a few (4, I think), months, due to the usual excuses (too many ongoing projects, too little time and the like ๐Ÿ™‚ ), hopefully some progress will be shortly commenced!

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Where do you both find the time to build all of this stuff, Louis (@lgardner) and Spiros (@fiveten)? Not to mention the space to display all of these large kits. I recently bought a couple of old Monograms, so I may need to join the "old Monogram" club and build one after I finish the Mirage F.1CG I am working on now. Great job, both of you. Cockpit is awesome.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gblair!
    Well, hope you'll enter some "old Monogram" build here, so you'll start your Catalina a tad later on...so I will have some extra time to incrementally clear my bench before starting my Catalinas... ๐Ÿ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years ago:

I'm eager to pull out my Dragon Uhu, but will wait until I've tested the paint pens on the 110 I'm about to start...I did buy the brass radar set for the old Revell kit.

• Profile Photo

Please do, my friend @gkittinger!
    You can never have too many ongoing Uhu builds!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years ago:

That's for sure Spiros. Building one in 1/32 scale (I have yet to tackle that scale) sure makes for better detailing. (I did the Tamiya 1/48 Uhu.)

Speaking of detailing, Louis - your cockpit looks great, especially the radar/radio panel.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @eb801. I was a bit sceptic about the Revell 1/32 Uhu (don't know why, possibly the size?), until I opened its big box and started tackling it: this kit is magnificent! One of the amazing "new" Revell kits that emerged from Revell of Germany during the brave last 20 years or so: nicely designed, very sufficiently detailed without being overengineered, well fitting, Cartograf decals, low towards ridiculously low prices, amazing subjects, we were in Heaven...

• Profile Photo

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
    Stephen, @stephen-w-towle
    You made me smile with the Keebler elves comment. Sometimes it seems to work and I get a lot done, while other times it takes me way too long.

Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman
    I am also very impressed by the details they gave us. This kit has a lot going for it. It will get even better once I complete the seats harnesses and the seats get installed. This is the plane I will be building. It is coded "G9+FK"
    I liked this on the best because of the way the underside of the wings were painted. One wing is Black while the other side is RLM 76. The top side will be painted in overall RLM 75 with 76 squiggles over the top of that.

Last night I managed to complete the tail assembly and install it on the fuselage. I also have the wings constructed. I will try to get pictures posted tonight...

Michael, @faraomike
    Thanks buddy , please stay tuned as I hope to post another update tonight. Spiros' plane is ahead of mine with the build.

George, @gblair
    Thanks for the compliments. I usually build models at night, (or when the weather is bad), as I try to spend most of the day with the misses, doing little things together around the house, or working out in the shop with her truck restoration. I too am impressed with the cockpit, and it should look even better once the seats are completed and installed. They provided decals for all of the instruments, and they worked very nicely. I wouldn't have wanted to paint all these gauges... This is definitely going to take up some room in the display case... I hope to park some 109's and 190's under the wings. Maybe one on each side...

Spiros, @fiveten
    Your big Uhu is spectacular, and I like how you secured the weight in the nacelles. I'll bet that cost you some ice cream for QC1 and QC2, since you used some of their modeling clay !

Greg, @gkittinger
    I do hope that you bring out your Uhu as well. I always like to read your build journals. I have picked up a set of brass radar antennae for this one. It will be my first try using these. I picked up a couple of sets for various Luftwaffe planes made by Master Brass.

Eric, @eb801
    This is the first Uhu I have built since I was a teenager. Back then I built a much smaller 1/72 kit, and it was made by Revell. I have two of the 1/48 scale Tamiya kits in the stash, and will likely drag them out soon. I need to figure out which forum group to add them to... either the Night Fighter group as this one is, or do I go with our upcoming Luftwaffe group build, that is scheduled to start on May 1st.

I have decided to drop the flaps on this on, even though I have only found a few pictures of this being done on the real aircraft. I suspect the flaps were "supposed" to be raised by the pilot before shutting it down.

I wanted to be able to display the inner wing details... They have provided us with an exposed / open wing structure as an option. I will explain this and show the pictures later on tonight if things go as planned.

Spiros, @fiveten
    Your build has progressed much more than I remembered... and it looks very nice (as usual). ๐Ÿ™‚

• Profile Photo

The scheme you chose is amazing, Louis @lgardner : I think it suits the Uhu definitely. Great that you will drop the flaps, really looking forward to your posting and explanations tonight.

Of course (?), i will follow my usual build approach: since the flaps were usually up upon engine shutdown, I will model them up, so to have clean aerodynamic lines (translation: i am lazy and a chicken to drop the flaps and deal with all this nice internal detail ๐Ÿ™‚ )...

Looking forward to your posted progress and always helpful explanation info, my friend!