Horse Drawn Hearse

Started by Cricket · 113 · 4 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

The parts looks really good, Cricket @bikequeen
    You should clearly use a different approach compared to your bike builds.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

From my experience building the wooden covered wagon, , I think it’d be better to stain it before gluing the parts together, @bikequeen

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

@jagmkx @eb801 @j-healy @faraomike @pb_legend @airbum @ssgt @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @coondog @billkoppos @atjoe @impisi @dion-dunn @chrisballard @jdtruby

And we’re off :). I looked troughs he pieces and the directions and found out there isn’t much sanding after all and most of it is painted black! I have black :). So here we go 🙂

The wood is very fragile and the “white metal” parts are almost like lead and bend really easy so that will be an issue. I tried several saws to get through the laser cuts they were I ether too thick to go through the wood or to thin and bent easily, then I remembered i just bought this one! PERFECT

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

This looks like it will be a nice change of pace from motorcycles, Cricket (@bikequeen).

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

“The right tool for the right job”!
    Looks like you’re doing a fine job on this, @bikequeen

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent job indeed, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 5 months, 1 week ago:

As it’s a hearse I guess black is the colour to go for, Cricket @bikequeen, looks like a fairly steep learning curve.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 5 months, 1 week ago:

@jagmkx @eb801 @j-healy @faraomike @pb_legend @airbum @ssgt @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @coondog @billkoppos @atjoe @impisi @dion-dunn @chrisballard

Sorry everyone who replied for some reason and once again I’m not getting the responses : (

Anyway here is todays progress, working with wood is totally different than plastic so my results are a bit off. I’m not thrilled with the finish. I had some Krylon paint in the garage I was going to use but it was old and didn’t story well so I primed everything with Tamiya dark grey primer and hit it with Tamiya black (both spray cans)

Had to stop because we got called out to set up an LZ :/

This was test fit for the coffin rails…not to bad

Then of course the “body”

And the undercarriage and test fit

I was going to say I never used CA glue with wood but I remembered that years a years ago I used it on a Gillows P38 i started.

More tomorrow

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Looks awesome, Cricket (@bikequeen). It looks so good that people are dying to get in. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 1 week ago:

What our friend @gblair said, my friend @bikequeen!
    Awesome job!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 1 week ago:

You are progressing quickly and nicely, Cricket @bikequeen
    Seems like you have always worked with wood before.
    Glad to see you like Heineken 😉

• Profile Photo

@gblair. Boooo Hisssss…..bad jk=oke….really bad joke 🙂

@fiveten Thanks Spiros 🙂

@johnb thanks john. My grandfather was a master carpenter in Slovenia and my dad was too, I dont get to their level but I do ok. I’m afraid the coach builders in the “Days of yore” would be disappointed with this build 🙂

• Profile Photo

@johnb PS you cant build a hearse without Heineken….I think it’s a law 😉

• Profile Photo

@jagmkx @eb801 @j-healy @faraomike @pb_legend @airbum @ssgt @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @coondog @billkoppos @atjoe @impisi @dion-dunn @chrisballard

What a day! I knew severe weather was a possibility for today for about 5 days now. I managed to stay calm and work on my kit. And about 1:30 it hit the fan. Tornado popped up and the rest of the afternoon was hell….no damage here thankfully

Anyway here is the hearse update. I put the front on. Took the dowel that came with it sanded it smooth primed it and cut to length to make the coffin rollers. I thought i progress shoots but in the craziness of the day I guess I didnt take any : / I installed them added the coffin rails, sanded and the seat as it was pretty bad. I also described the roof and messed it up : ( but to late to fix it

So here it is and a couple pics of the hail we had 🙂

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Wow, really looking good, Cricket (@bikequeen). Your hearse is really coming together quickly. I don't remember until the last few years that we had to start worrying about severe weather like this in the winter. We have had several rounds of severe weather here in central Texas, and the last time we had hail it was softball size. Glad the bad stuff missed you.