Hasegawa 1/72 Kawasaki Ki61(Tony)

Started by Bob Torres · 25 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Not shown, I made a control stick for the cockpit, Hasegawa did not include one in this kit. Tonight, I also painted the wheels, exhaust stacks, gear doors and canopy frames. Tomorrow the flat coat and the rest of the little items goes on.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Sounds like solid progress, my friend @v1pro!
    Looking forward to the final coat!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Very nice step done, Bob @v1pro
    Do you mind sharing your home made control stick, I would love to see it being scratch built.
    To me the yellow leading edges look great.
    I once had the same issue applying those decals and decided to avoid them and since then I airbrush those leading edges, a bit more work on masking but no hassle with the decals.

• Profile Photo

Hi John @johnb, making the control stick was simple, I cut a small piece from a styrene sheet and cut a piece of stretched sprue. I kept mine pretty basic, the real one had a rectangular part attached to the control stick and on an angle. The final two shots show mine after it was painted and then glued into place. I figured with the framed canopy, and keeping it closed it would be hard to see this.

And I agree with the yellow section, I should have masked it.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And here I call it done! Not a bad kit, needs a little work but nothing really bad. The original release was in 1973 and for that time it was the best in the model world. In the early 90's newer tool kit from Dragon came into the scene. And about almost 20 years later RS Models, Aoshima and Tamiya came along with their versions of the Ki-61.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Lis @lis, Jay @ssgt, Spiros @fiveten, Louis @lgardner and John @johnb for following.

And again, thank you Jay @ssgt for the kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

She looks excellent, Bob @v1pro
    Thanks for sharing the control stick process, simple but effective.
    Looking forward to it shown on the headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Amazing result, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 3 months ago:

You did a stellar job on that Ki-61, Bob @v1pro ! I love that clover on the side, that’s the way I would have made it too.

• Profile Photo

Guys, thank you.