Kinetic 1/48 FMA IA-58A Pucará - Finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 143 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years ago:

The cockpit looks very convincing, Eric. Sometimes the traditional skills of painting and assembly without PE for the IP and consoles is actually better. 3d switches and bezels and knobs in plastic have some advantages over relatively flat printed etch. I like what you have done here with the throttles - probably impossible to match with etch. That's also some fine paint brush work on the face curtain firing handles for the ejections seats.

I will soon be posting work I have been doing on my A-4B and Super Etendard in this Group. No etch for the Skyhawk but a full set for the SuE. I am relearning some techniques myself, particularly at this scale, so the A-4 will pass muster.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years ago:

great work on the cockpit!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years ago:

Greg, Colin and everyone else - thanks for your comments about the cockpit. I went back and added a little more detail like some red knobs since the last posting, inspired by looking at some reference photos.

• Profile Photo

ON TO THE FUSELAGE!
    I can't believe how good the fit on this kit is! Prior to gluing the two halves together, I highlighted the side instrument panels and painted and detailed the nose wheel well.
    After gluing the cockpit tube in place to the right side of the fuselage, I glued about 5 small fishing weights. I think I need to add a few more just to be safe.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looks wonderful, my friend @eb801!
    The Pucara is definitly in my to buy/to do list.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Spiros - you will love this kit. The only downside is the instructions could use some serious improvement and there are no paint call outs beyond the first page. You won't need any liquid styrene either. TC was right on with his review and comments. Kinetic hit a bullseye with this Pucara.

• Profile Photo

I LOVE THIS KIT!
    I am beyond impressed with how well Kinetic dialed in this kit. The fit is perhaps the best I've seen in recent years. Disclaimer no 1: I have yet to built Tamiya's acclaimed P-38F which sits on my stash shelf.

This Pucara goes together smooth as butter.
    So far.
    Take a look:

• Profile Photo

@eb801: Among others, it is amazing that the 6-piece nacelle fits like a glove! Kudos Kinetic!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

Yes indeed - one of the five best kits ever for design and buildability. This is looking really good.

• Profile Photo

Tom, I can certainly see what a good time you had building this as you said in your review. It just purrs right along,which is a big relief after wrestling through my three previous builds.
    Here's the latest update:

• Profile Photo

You guys @eb801 and @tcinla have convinced me to get one...
    OK, as soon as my friend/owner of one of the two major hobby shops in Athens brings them...
    It will be really difficult to resist painting it as Tom's "field applied" one...

• Profile Photo

Yes, Spiros. It will be hard to resist Tom's "field applied" painting scheme as almost all the 24 Pucaras sent to the Malvinas were painted this way. I'm still researching which one I will do.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Great progress, Eric!

• Profile Photo

Thanks John. Here's some more progress!

WINGS ON!
    Everything is falling together easy as can be. No need for filler yet. Just some sanding on the seams to make them disappear. By the way, this is a fairly large model. The footprint is almost 12 inches x 12 inches.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

This is one of those models where, if you keep your wits about you, a super result is as close to guaranteed as it gets. You have obviously done that, @eb801.