1/48 Kitty Hawk F2H-2P Banshee with Rieth Creations correction set.

Started by John Healy · 49 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 5 years ago:

John @j-healy, for future reference with CA, I get great results with the Super Thin CA from Bob Smith Industries. I cut the end off the eye of a large sewing needle and dip it in a drop of CA on a plastic card. Then touch the needle eye in the joint while I'm holding the parts in place. The capillary action draws the CA in the joint. No worry about the CA setting up with the parts misaligned.

If I put just the tip in the CA, I get a small amount and if I lower the entire "eye" in the drop, it fills the eye up and I get more CA.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years ago:

Great idea, Michael. I concentrated on getting a smooth transition on the underside.I used a flat toothpick with the German glue. Not used to instant bonds! I’m going to assemble the wings using your tips next. I’ll rescribe panel lines after it’s all together and gaps are filled. This has been a fun project so far.

• Profile Photo

Glad to hear it has been fun. I tried to make it an easy build with minimal putty and sanding. I hate getting a "carved out of soap", warped and bubble filled resin casting.

• Profile Photo

You’re on the right track. This resin is not brittle and easy to sand. Zero bubbles and imperfections.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years ago:

Nice job, and a lot of work. Looks like a lot of the original kit will be replaced.

• Profile Photo

Only the important parts, George! Lol.

• Profile Photo

Got some filling done today and cleaned up the resin wing to outer wing join area. I have a really nice fit here and will be building the joins next.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

In case you were wondering what it looks like with the gun nose and the camera nose...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years ago:

Continuing along nicely!

• Profile Photo

All of the gaps are filled with super glue and sanded now. I also built up the plugs for the outer wing to center section joins per Michael’s instructions. Next, I’ll sand them to get the wings fitted, rescribe lost detail, and start the wing tip tank fix.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The wings are now solidly joined with a couple of small gaps to fix. Tip tank mods are next.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking great. Fun to watch someone else "get er done". I see your fix at the wing root for the CA kicking too soon.

I just glued my Banshee wings in the folded position today. KH actuator parts are too long, so the Wing folds aren't touching, but it is almost done. Also glued the flaps down. Took a lot of sanding and test fitting.

My other 3 Banshees will be wings down and flaps up lol.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Michael! Glad to hear yours are progressing too. For the wingroot fix, I took a very thin slice of plastic from the unused KH right wing center and blended/sanded it in with Zap A Gap thick CA. I also weighted and attached the gun nose tonight.

• Profile Photo

I got an almost perfect fit installing the rear of the engines today. More sanding done, nose cap installed and modified the tip tanks. It won’t be long before this is ready for some paint.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The kit doesn’t come with a gunsight for the fighter version. I cut the photo range finder off of the instrument panel hood and am making a rudimentary sight. Gotta at least have some reflector glass in there. If you carefully sand the forward panel attached to the windscreen, you can get a perfect fit. Finishing the cockpit today and will mask and attach the canopy /windscreen next.